Author Topic: Solved -PJ336 - Masten & Lu Gregory at 1953 Golden Gate Race  (Read 4689 times)

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Solved -PJ336 - Masten & Lu Gregory at 1953 Golden Gate Race
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »
This time you have to identify as many people as you can (1 point each)
another point goes for the event and the last one for the car.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:23:33 PM by Paul Jaray »

Offline woodinsight

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 557
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: PJ - 336 - Who, what, where?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:39:14 PM »
Masten Gregory (centre) in the car.
Will come back regarding the others and the car.

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »
Would you mind if I steal a bit of it?

The car is a Jaguar C-Type, which AFAIK was Gregory's first racing car after an Allard-Chrysler. The event must be a 1953 Golden Gate race, and the woman sitting near to Masten is his wife.
No ideas about the other people yet.

Offline woodinsight

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 557
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 01:27:59 AM »
Not at all - please go ahead.
I haven't yet had the time to look into the other people yet.

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:24:48 AM »
This pic was given to me by someone who would like to know more about...if I tell you his identity (is a member of Autopuzzles too), you'll know immediatly at least another man in that pic....
(that's why I have not all the answers...)

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 05:27:39 AM »
If I got it right, that was much of a hint... Is he second on the left, in dark glasses?  :bag:

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 06:38:37 AM »
If I got it right, that was much of a hint... Is he second on the left, in dark glasses? :bag:
I'm sure you got it right....

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:00:57 AM »
So, the man in dark glasses should be Ben Harris?

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 07:31:56 AM »
Spot on!

Offline woodinsight

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 557
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »
Just to back up Faksta's reply and to add a little more background -

The C-Type is chassis no: XKC 015.
The event is I believe the Guardsman Trophy Race at Golden Gate Park, San Francisco mid-1953 which he won.

XKC 015 car burnt out after a practice accident at Floyd Bennett Air Force Base in August 1953. Gregory escaped unharmed.
Gregory then quickly acquired Henry Wessells C-Type and XKC 015 was later rebuilt and sold to Campbell McLaren in Scotland in the late 1970s.

I still don't know any of the other unidentified people in the photo but will keep my eyes open........

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »
Three people don't let me sleep well - the man at the very right looks very familiar, as does a pair behind Masten - a man and a woman standing close to each other (I think I just could have seen this woman at another SCCA picture somewhere). It may be just a wrong feeling, though...

Offline motorcar1

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
Woodinsight and faksta;
Thanks for chiming in.
Another thing that is quite peculiar about the picture.

Did the SCCA, in infant years, have dress codes for track and SCCA officials?

Notice that the three officials are all wearing the same style sweater vest with ties ?
AMAZINGLY, if you go to the articles on Ben's Speedster, you will see he is wearing the same sweater vest standing next to his car !!

Perhaps something was written on the sweater vest, maybe that is why Ben is wearing the vest for the photo ?

The SCCA is clueless, as I presented it to them. There early records, for the most part, are lost !

Faksta, Is the one official the infamous racing driver Jim Kimberly from Kimberly and Clark, >> Kleenex and a host of other major companies he owned?
If he was not racing that day at Golden Gate, perhaps it is him?

I too think the other couple behind Mastens Jaguar look familiar.

John

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 01:39:26 AM »
The idea about some kind of uniform sounds interesting, I haven't thought about it.

The source I have doesn't have Jim Kimberly among the participants of 1953 Golden Gate race, so it is quite possible that he could have been present as an official, although the entry list I have found may well be incomplete. I also can't say anything about Jim Kimberly, as I don't know his face.

Shame SCCA archives are lost!  :(

Offline motorcar1

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 09:42:50 AM »
faksta,
The SCCA was set back when I presented this fact about the dress code to them.

I guess that a person, while combing old internet racing pictures, archives and books, might just keep an eye out for the same sweater vests and ties?

In further explanation>>The SCCA made decision, along with another gentleman, to leave behind many papers and documents when the SCCA archive records were moved from one state to another, quite sad as it makes it very difficult for me, and many others,  to document anything !!

The gentleman that tends the records, best said, is hard to reach and get a return phone call from.
A board member that sat as an archivist at the SCCA, quit because of the hurdles to get information to my best knowledge.

The picture we are working on will be solved as far as who the other persons are, >>>at least I do hope so.

Quite strange actually, what was Ben doing in California as a Race Official when he was a racer/official race organizer at Ashton AFB Illinois and Atterbury AFB Indiana plus Elkhart lake Wisconsin before it became Road America?????

One thing to remember in unraveling the other persons in the picture, Ben and Jim were quite good friends as family members have told me, furthered by , and as noted in SCCA records,  Ben became VP and Jim became Pres of the SCCA right after this picture was taken.

Were they both strumming up a SCCA sanctioned race at Elkhart, together with other stockholders as each was????

When this one is tackled, PJ will post another. All tie into Ben and our side work to get him placed/recognized into the Hall Of Fame at the SCCA and assists in work for the story unfolding herein Autopuzzles..

Soooooo, with this said, any idea's of who the other SCCA officials are and what the hell Ben was doing there?

Thank you guys,
John

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:49:01 AM by motorcar1 »

Offline woodinsight

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 557
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »
Just to recap identification of the people in the photo -

(left to right)
1. unknown - it looks a bit like Harry Moon Fair, SCCA Vice-Chairman of Pebble Beach Road Race Committee
2. Ben Harris
3. unknown - looks very like Tony Parravano in the white jacket
4. unknown - Mrs. Parravano?
5. Masten Gregory
6. Lu Gregory (Masten's wife)
7. unknown photographer
8. unknown

Still keeping my eyes open when I'm researching 1950s US racing history

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »
Last call before the solved section!

Offline motorcar1

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 10:30:39 AM »
Last call before the solved section!

AS EDITION;
Woodinsight,

1-- I have searched for Harry Moon Fair, can not really find any pictures of him, do you have a link I can look at, possibly post??
2-- yes, Ben Harris,
3-I would agree, the infamous Tony Paravano with his ?wife>> seems he got Enzo looked at for the Mafia in Italy, crazy huh, still need to explore this for the story of Ben at Autopuzzles. Do you have other pics of Paravano to add here?
4-- ? Mrs Paravona
5--, yes, Masten Gregory
6--yes, mastens wife

7--would like to know photographer

8-through research, we do believe, the infamous Jim Kimberly

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 10:23:34 AM »
Masten Gregory: 1 point woodinsight
 Lu Gregory: 1 point woodinsight
Jaguar C-Type: 1 point faksta
1953 Golden Gate race: 1 point faksta
Ben Harris: 1 point faksta

Is it over?

Offline woodinsight

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 557
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »
If I can just add one photo of Harry Mhoon Fair and two of Tony Parravano.

I haven't been able to find a photo of Jim Kimberly yet.

Offline motorcar1

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
woodinsight,

We found an interesting newspaper article on Kimberly with a picture.
It was him speaking out to Congress about their decision to halt/stop racing at AFB around the Continental United States.

I will go back to see if I saved it or not !!

The pictures you posted on Parravano seem to closely resemble him, dates, times and the race being in California all add up.

The Harry mhoon Fair picture, thats a tough one to visually decipher, perhaps another picture might turn up.
Thank you woodinsight,
John

AFTER POSTING THIS>>>>
I went back looking for the picture, found this in an Old Sports Illustrated article.

The End of an ERA I guess>>

The handshakes and greetings that renewed acquaintances carried a special warmth, for in everyone's mind lurked the fear that this might be the last of the big Eastern SAC (Strategic Air Command) airfield races backed by General Curtis LeMay, a true racing enthusiast. The Turner AFB event, scheduled for October 23-24 at Albany, Ga., has been canceled for economic reasons, and the wind-up of a dozen major 1954 SAC events will take place November 7 at March AFB in Riverside, Calif. No commitments have been made between the Air Force and the Sports Car Club beyond that date, and whether the program of racing will be renewed for 1955 is anybody's guess.

This uncertainty results from the efforts of Rep. Erett P. Scrivner, Republican, Kansas, to induce Congress to put an end to AFB races on the grounds that they encourage a waste of manpower and public funds. Actually, airmen's benefit funds last year netted some $500,000 from SAC races, and the majority of AFB personnel welcomed the events as a pleasant and profitable diversion. It surely can be argued that the policing of such events represents a useful exercise of manpower. The Air Force (and the Sports Car Club) position was stated eloquently by General Gates at the Chanute, Ill. AFB trophy dinner: "You don't offer your kid a dime to shine your shoes, then, when he's done the job, withhold the dime because he's used up shoe polish, electric light and a polishing cloth."

However, if Lockbourne proves to have been the last eastern airport meeting, it at least provided a brilliant finale.m

This started me thinking>> the Chanute base was a base that Ben hosted and officiated races at, he also hosted a Concour De Elegance show there>>>race programs,oops, and many other things, they were friends with General Gates>>>> perhaps Ben and Jim knew the end was near>>> perhaps they were in California a couple years earlier for this reason,>>> perhaps they decided to be stock holders and promote/organize for Road America at this time>>> just theorizing>>> sure makes sense though??????
John
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:02:55 PM by motorcar1 »

Offline woodinsight

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 557
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 01:34:06 AM »
John,

I was also convinced that Tony Parravano appears in the photograph and I agree that the image I posted of Harry Mhoon Fair is difficult to decipher as the person on the left in the photo.
There is a resemblance but further images would be required to confirm this.

However I really posted these images for discussion rather than positive identification.

If I come across any further photos I will post them here.

Thanks,
woodinsight

Offline motorcar1

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »
woodinsight,
Do appreciate ya>>>
We would love to talk more on the persons in the picture.

I am at a dead end right now though for further input, still searching.
One never knows though when a new picture or article will pop up, each time one does, you can bet we will post it here or on the site for further investigation and identification

Until that time,
John

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 03:42:33 AM »
Alright, time to assign the points for the correct (and known) identifications:

Masten Gregory: 1 point woodinsight
Lu Gregory: 1 point woodinsight
Jaguar C-Type: 1 point faksta
1953 Golden Gate race: 1 point faksta
Ben Harris: 1 point faksta

If there are proofs that there are also Mr Harry Moon Fair, Mr and Mss Parravano, further points will be given.
Well done guys!

You can read Ben's story here:
http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=11958.0
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 03:51:03 AM by Paul Jaray »