Author Topic: Who did that to those poor cars? N°2 - Solved by ImpishGrin, Neilshouse, K5ING, Allemano, Arunas and Ehhxekt  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine
The first one isn't completely solved, I know, but what's the heck, here is another Who-Did-That.

Nine cars, all modified or especially build for advertising, films, TV shows, whatever. The company's names have been blurred or erased. For each car you get one point if you can identify the guilty party, that is the product advertised, the company,  film, show, etc. Naturally, there is little chance that you make it unless you stumble upon the same web page where I found them.
Difficult, but not impossible at all: how do you think I found them first?

Once done you can also earn, for some of them, an extra point if you can tell the make (and sometimes model and year) of the car it is based upon. Guesses about what the car was won't be answered or rewarded if posted before the first question is answered.

And while you're at it, whynot try and solve the last 3 of my first Who-Did-That?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:00:33 AM by Ray B. »
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline Ehhxekt

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 438
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Who did that to those poor cars? N°2
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:17:26 AM »
#14 is The Monkees' Monkeemobile – a customized 1966 Pontiac GTO.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 06:36:20 AM »
It is indeed, but you didn't answer to the main question: who did that to this GTO? So, who ordered it, what for, and who did it?
Reserved for Ehhxekt next 48 hours.

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 644
  • Nulla tenaci invia est via
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • https://www.cartefacts.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »
#15 - Foster car. Built by Alan Mann Racing Company on English Ford Zephyr Mk 4 chassis. Used in film "Doppleganger".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:36:29 AM by Arunas »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:17:55 AM »
#15 - Foster car. Built by Alan Mann Racing Company on English Ford Zephyr Mk 4 chassis. Used in film "Doppleganger".
Correct and impressive, as this is the car. But this picture doesn't come from the film (US title "Journey to the far side of the sun") and the car doesn't look quite like that in the film (correctly spelled "Doppelgänger", and where there is no "Foster"). Where does this picture come from?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:29:26 AM by Ray B. »

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 644
  • Nulla tenaci invia est via
    • https://www.cartefacts.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:39:50 AM »
I don't really understand the last question.. What should I add? TV series "UFO"?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:42:18 AM by Arunas »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:48:59 AM »
UFO is correct. What I meant is that the car was build for the movie "Doppelgänger", where there's no character called Foster. And that it was then modified for the TV series "UFO" where it became the car of a character called Paul Foster. And that my picture comes from this TV series.
You've earned your 2 points anyway.

Offline ImpishGrin

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 303
  • Afficionado Anorak
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:13:13 AM »
Correct and impressive, as this is the car.

Impressive? I've thoroughly explained the Straker/Foster/Quest issue just a month ago ;)
http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=6454.msg45789#msg45789

And the last car is from polish movie "Wyspa złoczyńców" :) Based on VW Schwimmwagen.
It's not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:27:12 AM »

Impressive? I've thoroughly explained the Straker/Foster/Quest issue just a month ago ;)
http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=6454.msg45789#msg45789

And the last car is from polish movie "Wyspa złoczyńców" :) Based on VW Schwimmwagen.
You're right, and Arunas is a lucky man. I had forgotten this topic (I tend to get lost among the carload we got now).

You're right also about the movie. It pays to be Polish at times doesn't it? 2 points.

Offline ImpishGrin

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 303
  • Afficionado Anorak
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 10:45:57 AM »
#11 is an advertising vehicle for Etrusca perfumes, made by Fissore on Fiat 1400 base.
It's not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 10:53:40 AM »
Right again, and 2 more points.

Offline neilshouse

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 420
  • I want one!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 12:26:43 PM »
#13 is the Swiftmobile from the (superb) 1960 film School for Scoundrels, it is based on a 1928 4.5 litre Bentley.

Offline neilshouse

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 420
  • I want one!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
#17 is from the film 'Sesame Street Presents - Follow that Bird' it's based on a VW Beetle floorpan

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 12:47:14 PM »
Fine! 2 points.
Now I guess you can solve others from these "Wo did that to them" puzzles.

Offline K5ING

• Puzzle Points 37
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
EDIT:  #12:  The car was actually made for the movie "Forbidden Planet" and was known as "Robby's car".  It later made an appearance in "The Twilight Zone" episode called "The Rip Van Winkle Caper". 

Number 16 is a limo made from a 727.  EDIT:  It was done by a guy named "Limo Bob" and was on ebay for over $300K. 

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:18:33 PM by K5ING »

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 12:58:37 PM »
I know a few of these, but again, they will not last long enough to get to Pro land.
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 03:51:21 PM »
Well, I just thought of upgrading it tonight because a pro's life is sometimes a dull one, but I'm also afraid there's not much meat left on the bone.

#10  ???
#11 is an advertising vehicle for Etrusca perfumes, made by Fissore on Fiat 1400 base. ImpishGrin
#12 The car was actually made for the movie "Forbidden Planet" and was known as "Robby's car".  It later made an appearance in "The Twilight Zone" episode called "The Rip Van Winkle Caper". K5ING
#13 is the Swiftmobile from the (superb) 1960 film School for Scoundrels, it is based on a 1928 4.5 litre Bentley neilshouse
#14 Monkeemobile, Pontiac GTO converted by Dean Jeffries, commissioned by Universal Studios, for the Monkees TV show. Ehhxekt
#15 Built by Alan Mann Racing Company for the film Doppelgänger, on English Ford Zephyr Mk 4 chassis. Then modified for the TV series UFO Arunas
#16 is a limo made from a 727-100 by Vaca Meters Limos, Mexico. K5ING
#17 is from the film 'Sesame Street Presents - Follow that Bird' it's based on a VW Beetle floorpan neilshouse
#18 is from polish movie "Wyspa złoczyńców"  Based on VW Schwimmwagen ImpishGrin
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:40:14 AM by Ray B. »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »
Number 16 is a limo made from a 727.  EDIT:  It was done by a guy named "Limo Bob" and was on ebay for over $300K. 
True, but I have another name (a company) for the owners of this limo. Which one? Your game for the next 48 hours.

Offline Ehhxekt

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 438
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 05:23:03 PM »
It is indeed, but you didn't answer to the main question: who did that to this GTO? So, who ordered it, what for, and who did it?
Here is what I found: renowned customizer Dean Jeffries was responsible for the conversion, commissioned by Universal Studios, which wanted to use a custom car on the Monkees TV show. The car was not even a one-off; a similar one was built to be displayed at car shows and other promotional events.

Offline K5ING

• Puzzle Points 37
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
Number 16 (the 727 limo) was built by Limo King Enterprises which Limo Bob owns.  It's on eBay right now (item #140300668869) for only $299,900.00.  Wanna split the cost with me?   ;D 

BTW, the only reason I knew the other one, Number 12, was that I just happened to have watched that Twilight Zone episode just yesterday!   

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:03 AM »

Here is what I found: renowned customizer Dean Jeffries was responsible for the conversion, commissioned by Universal Studios, which wanted to use a custom car on the Monkees TV show. The car was not even a one-off; a similar one was built to be displayed at car shows and other promotional events.
Perfect. Suits me fine.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »
Number 16 (the 727 limo) was built by Limo King Enterprises which Limo Bob owns.  It's on eBay right now (item #140300668869) for only $299,900.00.  Wanna split the cost with me?   ;D 
Well, I have informations saying it was built by Vaca Meters Limos in Guadalajara, Mexico, and I honestly don't know who tells the truth and who is boasting. Until we solve this, you have your 2 points anyhow.

EDIT: All I can say is that I checked Limo Bob's website, and when it comes to boasting, Limo Bob fears no one. And that I found a page, dated September 2004, referring to this limo as having been built by, and belonging to Vaca Meters Limos.

Only N°1 left, and it is a tough one. If you understand what this truck is advertising, you'll have to find the brand's country. Then you may have a chance.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:52:36 AM by Ray B. »

Offline K5ING

• Puzzle Points 37
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 12:12:28 PM »
Well, I have informations saying it was built by Vaca Meters Limos in Guadalajara, Mexico, and I honestly don't know who tells the truth and who is boasting. Until we solve this, you have your 2 points anyhow.

EDIT: All I can say is that I checked Limo Bob's website, and when it comes to boasting, Limo Bob fears no one. And that I found a page, dated September 2004, referring to this limo as having been built by, and belonging to Vaca Meters Limos.

Only N°1 left, and it is a tough one. If you understand what this truck is advertising, you'll have to find the brand's country. Then you may have a chance.

This is one of the quotes that I used to get my answer: 

This one of a kind Boing 727 Jet learmousine, can be yours for the bargain price of $269,000.00, or rent it for $100,000.00/month for the month of July.
Created by Limo King Enterprises, Inc., this Jet (registered as a bus) will seat 30 passengers, comfortably.
Fueled it weighs 24,000 pounds

However, that was a quote found on a forum website so I have no idea when it was actually written.  I also agree that "Limo Bob" is no shrinking violet when it comes to boasting.  It's very possible that he commissioned it, but didn't actually build it himself.  Go ahead and subtract my point for this one, Ray. 

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »
Are you kidding?
You keep your 2 points. As many things found on the net, it's quite hard to be sure. You found one commissioner for this "car", I found another, and I can't say which is true (and don't care much to check if Limo Bob had it built, when, or bought it from Vaca Meters. It's not as if it was an important point of automotive history.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »
Don't stop now, fellows!
I know that N°10 is very blurred. But what it advertises is rather obvious. Now, he who finds in what country won't be very far from the answer, logically.