Author Topic: Puzzle #56 - Solved! AMC Rambler Tarpon  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Puzzle #56 - Solved! AMC Rambler Tarpon
« on: October 21, 2006, 07:52:53 AM »
Know what it is?

Please, respond below and let us know what make and model you think you see here.

If you haven't registered yet, you need to do so in order to reply with your answer.  You can do so by clicking here.

Also, please be sure to check out our other puzzles.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:34:44 AM by Otto Puzzell »
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Jagman

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 6
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Dave's Jag
Re: Puzzle #56
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 12:18:08 PM »
Well, the body says AMC Marlin, but the name on the flanks looks to be something else, so maybe an AMC sold in South America under a different name............

BTW, I've gotten what, 2 right in the past? Am I too qualified for the Rookie ranks?  Cause I sure feel like a rookie when I see the puzzles others like Sea Lion and Porridgehead have solved!

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 12:20:40 PM »
Well, the body says AMC Marlin, but the name on the flanks looks to be something else, so maybe an AMC sold in South America under a different name............

BTW, I've gotten what, 2 right in the past? Am I too qualified for the Rookie ranks?  Cause I sure feel like a rookie when I see the puzzles others like Sea Lion and Porridgehead have solved!

You have been designated a pro.

I thought I had the forum rigged so Pros could not post here in the Rookie forum.  Now it is rigged that way.

If you would rather be designated a rookie with two solves, that is your call.  Out of deference and respect to all of the puzzles you had solved in the past, I designated you a pro.  Just send me a PM and let me know which designation you prefer.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 12:48:32 PM by Ultra »
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Rich

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 11
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
Pretty close, Jagman....I thought it looked a bit like a cross b/w the Marlin and the first gen Barracuda...then I was able to decipher the flank script:  Rambler. (!).  Still...that's as close as I come....

r

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 06:10:12 AM »
You are on the right track - it even has a fishy name!

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 01:48:35 PM »
Jagman, your designation has been changed to rookie.

:)
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline MG

• Free Radical
  • Puzzle Points 12
  • Designated Driver
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 05:18:21 PM »
Damn! My superanuated synapses were SURE that was a Marlin. So......Rambler Bonito, perhaps?    ;D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away!

Offline shoveldog

• Puzzle Points 4
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »
AMC Tarpon, concept car for the Marlin

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 03:54:06 AM »
AMC Tarpon, concept car for the Marlin

Welcome, shoveldog!  :D

Tarpon is correct. A Marlin prototype it was not. More of a predecessor. From the AMXFiles.com site:

Derived from the American, the Tarpon was the car that AMC could have, should have, but didn't make in response to the Mustang. Instead AMC built the Marlin, which, on the larger Classic chassis, was too big to be a pony car, too slow to be a muscle car, and cursed with ungainly proportions due to the Classic's stubby hood. The Tarpon wasn't perfect, either, but its awkward side window treatment (which prefigured the Marlin's) could have been fixed easily, along with some tweaks to the stock American front end, to create a convincing sporty car. First shown in January 1964, the Tarpon was well-received, but the project was moved to the Classic platform because AMC lacked a small V-8 to fit in the smaller car. By 1966 AMC had fit the new 290 into a slightly elongated American, but by then the Marlin was in the second year of its unsuccessful run.

Offline porridgehead

• Puzzle Points 42
  • Seat's up! Pa's home!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 09:28:18 AM »
Now where have I seen that rear end treatment recently?

Coincidence? I think not!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:06:53 AM by Otto Puzzell »
Measures with mics, marks with chalk, cuts with axe, beats to fit and paints to match

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Puzzle #56 - Solved! AMC Tarpon
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 07:02:52 AM »
Puzzle pic restored; here's another look. 

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Puzzle #56 - Solved! AMC Rambler Tarpon
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »
A couple of 'under construction' shots.