Author Topic: Solved - NEH 4029: Auto Union 1000 SP Coupé Special  (Read 4764 times)

Offline iani

• Puzzle Points 26
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: NEH 4029
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
getting an early audi coupe vibe, but they wouldn't use a competitor's lights.
Auto union base?

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 10:47:53 AM »
getting an early audi coupe vibe, but they wouldn't use a competitor's lights.
Auto union base?

Correct!
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline datsone

• Puzzle Points 37
  • Rolls-Canardly Owner
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 01:20:55 PM »
Project from Baur?

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 02:01:27 PM »

Offline iani

• Puzzle Points 26
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 06:32:23 PM »
baur did the 'standard' fintail 1000s, but this isn't one of em.
Fiat 800/850 rear lights, Italian bodied?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:51:06 PM by iani »

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
baur did the 'standard' fintail 1000s, but this isn't one of em.
Fiat 800/850 rear lights, Italian bodied?

It's already been established that the rear lights are from a 1970s Opel Manta;  not Italian-bodied.

Offline iani

• Puzzle Points 26
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2015, 03:45:33 AM »
It's already been established that the rear lights are from a 1970s Opel Manta;  not Italian-bodied.

ooh, that pushes my dating of it guess back from 63-65 to 1970 at the earliest!

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2015, 04:48:03 AM »

ooh, that pushes my dating of it guess back from 63-65 to 1970 at the earliest!

Yes, though I don't know the exact year this body was fitted.

Offline 58_spyder

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 62
  • Name That Car!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
I was loooking for the info on the DKW Schnellaster.....the production/assembly plant of the little DKW van and then I ran into this coupe. 

Add said:

Auto-Union 1000sp
bouwjaar 1964
kilometer stand 50.000km
Prototype, eenigste ter wereld.
leren bekleding, originele staat.
origineel nederlands kenteken.

prijs op aanvraag.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 06:55:04 PM »
Very good, so you've found the car.
I know it says all that on the site where this is pictured but it's not accurate.
The base car is from 1964 but it's not an Auto Union prototype from 1964; we've established that it was bodied later since it has 1970 Opel Manta tail lights!
So, the question is, who bodied this car and when?  I don't know when myself so you may or may not be able to find that out, so the main thing is to say who bodied it.
Locked for your reply!
I'm going to be absent for a few days so you may have to be patient if  you post a reply before I get back.

Offline 58_spyder

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 62
  • Name That Car!
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »
Based upon it's Dutch registration it brings me to akkermans, though this is nowhere confirmed, but it is referred to as the most likable coachbuilder to have performed the job. Akkermans is known for its conversion of VW and DKW, but I am not sure the still did these in the seventies. It could have been that the car originally had different rear lights and that these have been changed at some point in its life. The Karmann Ghia (type 34) had similar round taillights, so the car might have been transformed earlier than the availability of the Manta lights.
The design reminds me very much to the ASA 100 GT from 1962, the Audi 75 was available from 1965.... the Karmann type 34 was released in 1961.
My guess is Akkermans round 1965-68.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 06:13:37 AM »
I have it as Akkermans so unless someone proves otherwise that's the answer I'm looking for.
I don't have a specific date though; it looks to me like the body is based on a late 60s Audi, possibly a Super 90, so I would guess it was built around 1970 or soon after.  It does have similarities to the 100 Coupé or the Brazilian VW Karmann Ghia, but not close enough that it actually uses any parts from those, just that it was a fashionable appearance around that time.

Interesting car, though quite why a DKW site refers to it as a "1964 DKW prototype" I don't know; I would say they are wrong.  I have emailed them asking for more information but have received no reply, which indicates to me either they don't know anything or they are not interested in cars.  It's surprising how many car-selling sites are uninterested in cars or aren't interested enough to respond to emails...

Below are a couple more pictures:

Offline 58_spyder

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 62
  • Name That Car!
Re: Solved - NEH 4029: Akkermans Auto Union 1000 SP Coupé Special
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »
Thanks for the points, the lotus was partly given away, and this one showed up looking for the "schnellaster" ...

From a Facebook page "oldtimerliefhebbers":

Binnenkort willen we in Het Automobiel Klassiekermagazine dit unieke prototype onder de loep nemen, dat als opvolger van de Auto-Union 1000SP had moeten dienen. Wie weet er meer te vertellen over de geschiedenis van dit exemplaar

Soon Het Automobiel (Dutch magazine) wants to examine this unique prototype, which was to be the replacement of the Auto-Union 1000SP. Who can tell us more about this car?

I somewere saw a comment from a guy that this car used to belong to his uncle, he would inquire about the car, but unfortunately  he never posted  a reply.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »
That's very interesting, but I'm not so sure it rings true.
It did say on the DKW site I got the pics from that it was a 1964 prototype, but it has parts from much later cars so I have trouble believing that.  Those Opel Manta rear lights for instance; Auto Union simply wouldn't have used those.  The front grille looks to me like it's from a late 60s Audi Super 90, with that central peak sticking out.  And isn't that windscreen from a Porsche 912?

No mention of Akkermans then.  I would say its Dutch registration could well mean it was built in Holland; surely an official Auto Union prototype looking like this and which had survived would be known by the DKW/Auto Union clubs/sites?

I detect some Internet misinformation!

Offline 58_spyder

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 62
  • Name That Car!
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
I thinkit is a DKW based car, the dutch rego has it as a three cylinder engine. The car's title was transferred last week, so it might have a new owner.

I do believe it is mid -late sixties rather than seventies. The Manta light could have easily been added later,just like the audi front. They had 4 round headlights as well. The audi look is currently still popular amongst Skoda drivers,around here someone drives a Superb with basically an Audi front end.....
Still I doubt that it is a prototype, it is a well made special imho.

Besides the Brazillian Karmann Ghia it somehow reminds me of the ASA 1000 as well, which is from the sixties.

Offline Oswald

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 208
  • Acolyte
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 03:50:32 AM »
I understand it was built as a project for a school in Frankfurt and later imported and restored in The Netherlands. No Akkermans connection I'm afraid.
It's as much fun to scare as to be scared

Offline 58_spyder

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 62
  • Name That Car!
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 04:10:53 AM »

The carwas first registered in March 1964. This would mean that the car was designed earlier than  1964.

I am aware of an early 911, the Porsche HLS that was build by a school in Aken (Achen), so various schools must have been provided with cars to study, good toread about that.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 04:52:47 AM »

The carwas first registered in March 1964. This would mean that the car was designed earlier than  1964.

I am aware of an early 911, the Porsche HLS that was build by a school in Aken (Achen), so various schools must have been provided with cars to study, good toread about that.

I imagine it's the original production 1000 SP that was first registered in March 1964.  This body is later than that, otherwise where would they have got a Porsche 911/912 screen from?
Oswald's information looks the most likely explanation for this car if Akkermans were not involved, so I think I'll go with that one.

Anycase it's definitely not an Auto Union prototype for a 1000 SP replacement - it's a Bitsa!

Offline 58_spyder

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 62
  • Name That Car!
Re: Solved - NEH 4029: Auto Union 1000 SP Coupé Special
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 05:09:30 AM »
The first dutch registration was in March 1964, at that time the car got its Dutch rego. The plates/rego stay with the cars, and therefore if the car was first in Holland and after that brought to Germany, it must have retained its rego. The car was never a later import in Holland otherwise that would have been shown on the rego hstory.  But there must be a Dutch connection to the school otherwise it is not likely to retain its Dutch Rego, the owner at that time must have commisioned it.
Oswald stated that the car was imported after the conversion, but that does not add up to your obeservations.

as soon as I read something new, I will update.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 05:28:00 AM »
Thanks; I'm not sure how Dutch registrations work, but of course it could be that the original 1000 SP was sold in Holland and allocated that registration, then the new body was fitted later (Akkermans seemed logical but it looks like they were not responsible).  Maybe that chassis/engine combination has always had that registration number.

That would appear to be the most likely scenario to me; it's definitely not a 1964 body!

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 08:42:39 AM »
This is what is written about this car now on a well-known site:

This car was found in the late 1980s in a warehouse in the industrial area in Frankfurt. The warehouse was rented by nine DKW lovers and filled to the ceiling with DKW parts and cars. A few of the DKW-friends had given up their hobby, leaving the others with a rent they couldn’t pay any longer. They had to rent a smaller warehouse. From lack of space, some DKW's and parts including this Coupe had to be sold. The previous owner, Mr. W., had begun the restoration but did not make much progress.

The Dutch DKW-fan Mr. V. bought the car, despite the advice of a friend. First, many parts had to be bought or made, in order to be able to build off the bare bodywork. Secondly, the model was completely unknown. Despite the doubt, the car was bought for DM 2,750,-- and brought to the Netherlands. For this price the risk was minimal because the two Porsche 911 doors and the other components were in good condition. The loose parts would yield enough to cover the costs.

Arrived in the Netherlands the car was critically examined. The headlights came from a NSU and the grill was made of perforated sheet. The Coupe had a 2 stroke race engine. The bodywork showed that the car was intensely used and full of dents and scratches. Mr. V. failed to determine if this car has been a factory project or an "one-off". Supposedly the car started live at a technical college in Frankfurt. One thing is certain, the base for the construction of the Coupe is a DKW 1000 S De Luxe (model 62) built in 1963. The car must be known by a number of people who worked on it.

To reduce the body in its original state was not easy. On the pictures you couldn’t see much more than a bare body shell, where the flowing Coupe line was barely recognizable. Mr. V. used the nose and the bumper of a Audi 60, which fitted properly. For the rear lights round Hella lamps were used. This round lamps adapted better in the design than the original rectangular lamps. Recently round headlights were mounted also. Further used components are the front window of a Fiat 850 Sport and the fuel filler cap of an NSU Sport. Because the non-original items were selected with care, the design of the 1.83-metre-wide car was not spoiled and became a beautiful balanced design.

The car is by Mr. V. sandblasted and repainted in the original red color. Also the original engine was built in, but Mr V. didn’t like it. The Coupe had a top speed of 185 km/h and was for daily use just too restless. Stationary the engine turned 3,500 rpm. With the now built-in standard engine the car has a top speed of 125 km/h.
UNQUOTE

Offline SACO

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 411
SAC#1517
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2021, 05:42:05 AM »
What is this car , for 1 point ?  :)

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2317
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2021, 09:00:36 AM »
The car was built in 1968 by students from the Meisterschule für Handwerker in Kaiserslautern.