Author Topic: Folkhemmets Farkoster - Claes Johansson  (Read 1473 times)

Offline barrett

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 364
  • Don't delete me
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Folkhemmets Farkoster - Claes Johansson
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:28:37 PM »
Published by Byggforlaget, 2003
210 pages, hundreds of colour and b&w illustrations

I thought I would draw your attention to this wonderful little book as I'm not sure how well known it is outside Sweden. The title roughly translates as 'vessels of the welfare state' - the book covers the homebuilt cars, pedal-powered mostly, but some using small motorcycle engines, that proliferated in Sweden in the period after WW2 when petrol rationing made running a car a luxury for most people. These cars took all manner of forms from very basic, lightweight Mochet-style pedal cars to very well-built microcars that rivaled anything built in Germany or France at the time.
 The author is a real enthusiast of this little-known area of motoring history, but also clearly a lover of the sort of innocent, homely aesthetic of the period and the book is not only packed with superb period and modern images but is designed beautifully too. Sadly I don't speak a word of Swedish, but no doubt the text is excellent and detailed too...
 Sadly the book is very hard to find. It totally sold out quite quickly and rarely comes on the market second-hand, and even rarer still outside Sweden. It would be great if Claes could be persuaded to release a second edition, in English, but I doubt it will happen. He's written an excellent piece in the new issue of The Automobile magazine (February, 2016) that gives some background and mentions a couple of the cars in detail.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:40:10 PM by barrett »

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2319
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Folkhemmets Farkoster - Claes Johansson
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 02:13:57 AM »
And the author is an AP member, of course.  :)

Offline barrett

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 364
  • Don't delete me
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 06:03:40 AM »
I didn't realise!

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 09:27:05 AM »
This book has been the top wanted of my wishlist for years.
Once I joined facebook I tried to look for the author...to discover he is one of us!
The book is even better that the expected...I can't read it but the rare and obscure pictures of those cars are unestimable.
I finally have my copy and I hope there will be more books like that on the subject!

Offline kwgibbs

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 425
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 02:08:02 PM »
hi,I was just curious, if Claes couldn,t be persuaded to publish a 2nd edition of this wonderful book,maybe he could be persuaded to post a bunch of these obscure cars for us,that would be really great.I always enjoyed the very obscure and little-known cars .I hope Claes does!

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 07:11:49 PM »
I would certainly buy any new edition!
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars