Author Topic: Expert AutoPuzzlers, Read This Thread!  (Read 31158 times)

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Expert AutoPuzzlers, Read This Thread!
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:23:59 AM »
One of the perks of being an Expert here at AutoPuzzles, besides being allowed to post your own puzzles and having access to content not available to Rookies, all Expert AutoPuzzlers are enabled and expected to move their own puzzle topics through the Puzzles sections of the board.  This allows you to post your own Rookie puzzles, move them to the Expert or Professional sections if the Rookies cannot solve them in a timely manner <5 days?> and declare them as Solved and move them to the Solved section when they are finished.  To move a thread to a different section of the board, click the Move Topic button at the bottom left corner of the thread and carefully follow the very direct instructions.   When you click the "Move Topic" button, you can then change the name of the thread to include the word "Solved" in the title of the thread.  It let's you complete everything in one step.  Also, please remember to uncheck the "re-direct link" checkbox when moving threads.

When you move a topic to the Solved AutoPuzzles section of the board, Expert and Professional AutoPuzzlers are also expected to award a Solved Puzzle point to the person who solved the puzzle.  This allows all of the Expert and Professional AutoPuzzlers to operate their own puzzles independently, awarding points for the solved puzzles as they occur.  Only Experts, Pros, Feature Writers and Admins can award points.

:)

If anyone has any questions, please ask them of me here in this thread.  Happy puzzling.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:43:56 AM by Ultra »
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Arthur Dent

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 39
  • Nobody's Prefect
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Old Car Junkie
Re: Professional AutoPuzzlers, Read This Thread!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:33:02 PM »
Sorry -  how do we award points? I used to have add/subtract next to solved puzzles count on people's profile. I don't see that anymore.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 04:44:34 AM »
Arthur - there seems to be a glitch when a member is switched to "Feature Writer" status. One of the admins needs to also designate you as "Expert" status. Stand by, and I'll get you fixed in no time...
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 39
  • Nobody's Prefect
    • Old Car Junkie
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:43:42 AM »
Thanks - works now and I've awards points to those due from my recent two puzzles.

Offline neilshouse

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 420
  • I want one!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Expert AutoPuzzlers, Read This Thread!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:34:29 PM »
I'm a bit confused over the allocation of points for correctly solved puzzles, if a Pro puzzler solves a Pro puzzle do they get get 2 points?

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:59:22 AM »
I'm a bit confused over the allocation of points for correctly solved puzzles, if a Pro puzzler solves a Pro puzzle do they get get 2 points?

The amount of points awarded for a puzzle are determined by the puzzle's creator.

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Arthur - there seems to be a glitch when a member is switched to "Feature Writer" status. One of the admins needs to also designate you as "Expert" status. Stand by, and I'll get you fixed in no time...

The glitch for Feature Writers is fixed.  FYI, if you award them Expert status now it causes new glitches.

;)

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 04:17:00 AM »
Duly noted - I hope I remember...
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline GrahamClayton

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 13
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • WordClass Indexing & Editing
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 06:00:55 AM »
I can't seem to find the move topic button at the bottom of my thread in Rookie Puzzles - "Graham#1". Can someone tell me where I should be looking?

"She's a beauty!" - Australian Prime Minister describes the first 48-215 Holden to come off the production line in November 1948

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 06:06:54 AM »
It may be a glitch of the same kind as the one discussed above, but I'd rather let Ultra take care of this. In the meantime, if you want to move your puzzle to the Experts category, I can do it if you like.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:14:30 AM by Ray B. »
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 03:57:19 AM »
I've checked on the permissions page, and I see that Feature Writers are not allowed to move their own puzzles... Strange. Maybe an editor more experienced than me can check this issue.

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 11:18:23 AM »
I've checked on the permissions page, and I see that Feature Writers are not allowed to move their own puzzles... Strange. Maybe an editor more experienced than me can check this issue.

Did you change it?  When I checked it just now it said Feature Writers were allowed to move their own topics.

???

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »
I didn't and when I check here is what is says: disallowed, no denied.

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 11:53:20 AM »
I didn't and when I check here is what is says: disallowed, no denied.

I just checked the Rookie puzzles board permissions for Feature Writers.  What did you check?

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »
Not the same as you: Edit permissions, then: Feature Writers.
Id did the same as you, and see what you saw there.
Sorry. Too many boards sub-boards and i didn't find my way in it. That's why I didn't dare change anything.

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
I can't seem to find the move topic button at the bottom of my thread in Rookie Puzzles - "Graham#1". Can someone tell me where I should be looking?

Do you see it on your puzzles now?

Offline olavr

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 51
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 04:20:46 AM »
I'm thinking of posting my first puzzle, have a copule of questions before I start.
Where do you upload your pictures from? I upload from photobucket, but by reading the picture properties, one can go into photobucket and also see other pictures
How do you get a small picture to left of the post?
maybe the asnwers I need are posted somewhere here on the forrum, but I did not find the needed info
regards, olavr

Offline Ecnelis

• Holometamorphosis
  • Expert
  • Puzzle Points 147
  • Zenstation
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoGEN
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 06:11:19 AM »
Just use the "Additional Options" to upload the photos and all the magic will happen itself :)

Online D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
  • A retired civil engineer interested in cars
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
I'm struggling to start a new topic and post the picture. 
I go into "New Topic".  I don't see "Additional Options" anywhere. 
All I see is the "Attachments and other options button"  on opening it shows "Notify me of replies", "Don't use smilies" and "Return to this topic.  It also shows an "Attach" window with a "Choose File" button.  But this won't pick up picture files from my C-Drive.  I can't see any other buttons.
I'm obviously missing a step somewhere but can't see where.
I'm sure that previously I simply copied from my C-Drive and pasted in the post.
Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 410
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 04:29:55 PM »
I can't be much help, but I can say that the Attach box contains "browse" as I see it (Windoze 10/Firefox) which then opens a file finding box. That worked for me t'other week, but perhaps with a different operating system or browser it says something else and works differently.
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 11:00:53 AM »
To post a new topic:

1) Click on 'New Topic'
2) Click 'Attachment and other options'
3) Click 'Browse'.  You should be offered a 'File Upload' screen from where you can choose a file.  When you've chosen click 'Open'
4) Click on post and you should have posted a new topic.

If that doesn't work I can't image what's wrong.  It always works for everyone else!
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Online D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 11:15:37 AM »
The problem is that under "Attachments and other options" I don't see "Browse" - I only see "Choose file" - and it doesn't work.

I'm using Windows 7 and Google Chrome and trying to upload from my C-Drive.  Do I have to first post the picture on a web hosting site?
Duncan Rollo

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »
No, you should be able to choose a file from your own pictures file.
I'm afraid I don't understand that; when you click on New Topic you should get the box to put your text in and underneath that there should be a 'Browse' button.  When you click on that it will open the last set of files you last used, maybe Pictures or maybe not, but you should be able to choose 'Pictures' from the list of options on the left.
If you're not being offered a 'Browse' button I don't know what the answer is.
If you want you can start a new post but just put your Heading and your Text in the box then if you mail me the picture you want to post  (norman@snape.karoo.co.uk) I'll put it in for you?

When you first questioned this you said you were offered an 'Attach' button.  Directly beneath that and before you do anything it should say 'Browse' then when you click that it should say 'Choose File'; does it offer you your pictures file?  It may be offering you other files, say your Documents file, so you first have to click on 'Pictures'.  Then you either double-click on the picture you want or you click on it then click 'Open'.  What happens then?  It should fill in the name of the picture you've chosen then when you click on Post the picture should be there with your text.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:26:08 PM by Carnut »

Online D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »
I'm struggling to start a new topic and post the picture. 
I go into "New Topic".  I don't see "Additional Options" anywhere. 
All I see is the "Attachments and other options button"  on opening it shows "Notify me of replies", "Don't use smilies" and "Return to this topic.  It also shows an "Attach" window with a "Choose File" button.  But this won't pick up picture files from my C-Drive.  I can't see any other buttons.
I'm obviously missing a step somewhere but can't see where.
I'm sure that previously I simply copied from my C-Drive and pasted in the post.
Believe it or not - today it worked first time.  I clicked on the "Choose File" button, clicked on the photo in my C-drive and it uploaded straight away.
Duncan Rollo

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 03:45:57 AM »
Success!