Author Topic: Goodwood racing part 1  (Read 6589 times)

Offline lynxd67

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Goodwood racing part 1
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:35:38 PM »
Having given you a clue as to why I love the atmosphere at Goodwood so much, let's turn to the racing which spans the ages. The first race on the Saturday morning is the Goodwood Trophy, open to Grand Prix cars that raced between 1930 and 1950. Here we see cars models of which I played with in the sandpit in my youth, with which I created race tracks in the hillocks in the garden, and it was always the light blue ERA (English Racing Automibles) that won. This car was part of a piar of cars that belonged to Prince Bira of Siam named Romulus and Remus but without doubt Remus is the most famous and races today. A howl of a supercharged engine with one whopping SU (Skinners Union) carburettor - see the photo. In this race you find other cars like the Alfa Romeo Tipo B, the Alta, Bugatti type 54, Maserati 8CM, an original Maybach, and Talbot Lago. Cars where the drivers sat high in their monoposto cars without seat belts, wrestling gainfully the wheel as they fought to control the sliding skinny tyres on opposite lock.

The second race is the Chichester Cup, 14 laps for Formula Junior cars that raced between 1958 and 1960 comprising cars such as Elva, Lola-Ford, Mallock, OSCA, Stanguellini and Volpini. This isn't of too much interest to me (each to his own tastes but if I get sufficent interest I'll take some next year and publish them for you) but is interesting racing just the same.

The history of post war racing in the UK starts with the Formula 500 cars, powered by Norton and BSA single cylinder motor cycle engines, and to show that this is sometimes dangerous have a look at the series of photos I took in 1998. He got out with a fractured collar bone - lucky.

I have to stop here since, although I would like to carry on and write loads, the site only allows me to post four photos at a time which is a shame. I would like to continue and have a separate site where you could correlate the photos but it doesn't seem possible. If you can show me otherwise I'll gladly set it up this way. Anyway, I'll give you a day or so to digest these and then I'll carry on. Hope you like them, but if you don't like the way I am writing I am open to criticism and would welcome it. Tell me what you prefer to see!

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Goodwood racing part 1
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 01:31:09 PM »
I have to stop here since, although I would like to carry on and write loads, the site only allows me to post four photos at a time which is a shame. I would like to continue and have a separate site where you could correlate the photos but it doesn't seem possible. If you can show me otherwise I'll gladly set it up this way. Anyway, I'll give you a day or so to digest these and then I'll carry on. Hope you like them, but if you don't like the way I am writing I am open to criticism and would welcome it. Tell me what you prefer to see!

I have upped the maximum number of attachments to 12.    I would also like to recommend that you can host the pics on http://imageshack.us/ and then link them into your feature using the image feature [img] where each image is most appropriate to the written text.

I will create an example for you in the next post.   
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 01:41:06 PM »
Did you see one of these at Goodwood?

I would be surprised if you did.

To use the pic you upload, use the "direct link to image" at the bottom of the ImageShack page.

It is really fast and easy, lets you control your own pics and then format them into your posts as you desire.  It will even resize your photos for you when you upload them.

It is the solution you seek.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 02:42:58 PM »
You can also zip and attach them to an e-mail, and I'll upload them for you.
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 39
  • Nobody's Prefect
    • Old Car Junkie
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 03:44:28 PM »
Great pictures!

I'd love to take in Goodwood or similar event - sadly I'm quite a distance for any events like this. The stuff between 1930-50 is great - more technical variety I think.

Another picture host would be http://flickr.com where you can add comments to the pictures.

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 01:43:27 PM »
lynxd67....

Click the "quote" button on my post with the pic, above, and look carefully at the code I used to create the post.  It will greatly aid you in understanding how to create posts like that one.