Author Topic: Le Mans 24 hour race 2006  (Read 3100 times)

Offline lynxd67

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Le Mans 24 hour race 2006
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:05:02 AM »
I've been writing about Goodwood and have loads more picture for you but thought I'd take a break and write about the noise, the smoke, the fumes and the crowds at the 24 hour race which is held each year. Participants come from all over and racing is fast and furious with, inevitably, the odd accident or two along the way. As you know this year's race was won by a diesel too. The speed of these vehicles has to be seen to be believed and the paintwork on some defies comparison so I've put in a photo or two just to show you. The workmanship is perfect. There are different classes of vehicles of course and as such different prizes to be won. I'll write no more for the moment but just leave you with a few photos

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Le Mans 24 hour race 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 11:41:34 AM »
Semi's?

No, really.  Semi's?

Unreal and real cool!   I want to race one of those!  ;D
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline lynxd67

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »
Bet you weren't planning on seeing photos like that when you read the text! He He!

Yup, it's called the 24 hour truck race but in reality it is a three day event on the small Bugatti ciruit, not the 8.4 mile long circuit. Each race is about 10 or 15 laps and some start 30 secs behind the others because they are more powerful. Truck racing here is a big thing and the Le Mans race is the last event of the season. On the Saturday evening we have drag racing (yes!) lorries on the main straight and lorries sounding off all night so sleep is impossible. I live 4 miles from the actual circuit as the crow flies but sometimes I still here them, and can see the big firework display too. It is a spectacle though. We actually have, including the 24 hour classic on even date years, four 24 hour races but three of them are actually 24 hour non stop racing. Can you guess, by any chance, what the other might be? I'll be very surprised if you can get it.

Next year I am determined to go to the 24 hour lawnmower race in England because I've never been. It must be a hoot. The onlt problem is remembering what happened because I am led to believe that it is a 24 hour drinking race too!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 39
  • Nobody's Prefect
    • Old Car Junkie
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 10:42:53 PM »
Haha - semi racing is so silly its fun. Great pics. 8)