Author Topic: So Long, Chuck Jordan  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
So Long, Chuck Jordan
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:49:57 AM »
 :( The Automotive News reports:

Former GM Vice President of Design, Charles M. "Chuck" Jordan, has died at the age of 83. He was only the fourth person to ever hold that title at the time.

Jordan is best known for his time as GM's Vice President of Design, a job he held after taking over from Irv Rybicki in 1986 until his retirement in 1992. At the time, he was only the fourth person to ever hold that title. There have been six to date.

Jordan, born October 21, 1927, joined GM in 1949 at the age of 22 after graduating from MIT. He worked first on many of GM's non-automotive projects at the time before moving to the Advanced Design Studio, where he helped craft many of GM's famous Motorama cars. He later served as the design director of both Cadillac and Opel before being promoted to the Vice Presidency. He told Motor Trend in a 2006 interview he was most proud of the 1992 Cadillac STS and the Oldsmobile Aurora during his tenure as VP of Design.

Jordan's wife, Sally, plans to start a scholarship in his name in at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit. A memorial service is pending.

I've included some pictures of the designers favorites (as quoted above) and some of the designs from Jordan and his stylists that I really liked. Please add some of your favorites.

You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Aaron65

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 209
  • Midland St.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: So Long, Chuck Jordan
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:36:24 AM »

I believe Chuck Jordan was responsible for the '67 Eldorado, which is a very cool car.  This one was at Meadowbrook a couple of years ago and I believe is in GM's collection.

Offline fyreline

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 259
  • Livin' the Dream . . .
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: So Long, Chuck Jordan
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:41:06 AM »
A talented and prolific designer.  He will be missed.
"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are NOT entitled to your own facts"