Author Topic: The Tour Auto came to town  (Read 2406 times)

Offline lynxd67

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
The Tour Auto came to town
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »
Once every two years the Tour Auto comes to Le Mans. This fabled rally, comprising only original cars many of the highest quality, crosses France comprising a mixture of stages including circuits and regularity sections. Here are some photos of this year's event taken at the Le Mans Bugatti Circuit. I'd like to comment on two cars of which I have knowledge, commencing with my favourite Jaguar E type of all time, the lowdrag E type registered 49 FXN which raced at Le Mans and the Nurburgring in its time piloted by Lumsden/Sargent. The design of this car, so beautiful yet purposeful, is to me a work of art that translates to evocative savagery on the track. Seen from above and behind, I have also included a frontal shot taken at the Goodwwod Revival September 2006. Along with the famous CUT 7, another lowdrag coupé and perhaps the more famous one, it is now owned by Lord Michael Cowdray.

The GTO is well known to me and also shown is a photo of when we were at Donington together in 1992 - the 348 was at the time my racing car. The GTO was sold by the Pilkington family last year and the new owner sadly, to me at any rate, then proceeded to completely restore the car inside and out at a reputed cost of £1 million (double that in dollars) after buying it at a reputed cost of £7 million. I prefer it as it was; what do you think?

I'll leave you all to enjoy the photos

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 11:00:48 AM by lynxd67 »

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: The Tour Auto came to town
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 02:42:37 PM »
I really need to spend some time hanging with you.  ;D

Great photos.   8)
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 03:46:02 AM »
Moved to the photo section.
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline drum365

• Puzzle Points 2
  • AutoPuzzles
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing all those beautiful pics. Ah, the Golden Age!

I agree about over-restored race cars. A few decades ago my wife and I lived within walking distance of the (now gone) Cunningham Museum, and one of the things I loved best about the place was that the cars looked like they must have looked during the season: ill-fitting panels, heat-stained exhaust pipes, even occasional runs in the paint! In other words, "This is what race cars of this era looked like." Loved it!

Thanks again for sharing!