Author Topic: Car Names  (Read 7160 times)

Offline ropat53

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 661
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Car Names
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
In Argentina like in all countries we've had issues with car names.

REO was rebadged RIO because a reo is a convicted prisoner.
Studebaker Dictator wasn't used here, because the country was usually governed by one that did not like competition.
Volkswagen Gacel - Senda - Bora - Vento instead of Jetta because no matter how you pronounce it, it means either yeta=jinx or Jeta=a not nice word for face.
Chevy Nova was Chevrolet 400 first version and second version was simply Chevy. 'No va' does mean 'no go' or 'doesn't go' in Spanish, I don't know if this had anything to do with the name change.
Mitsubishi Pajero is Montero here, as explained previously.
No Mazda LaPuta has reached these shores, but TheWhore isn't a name that buyers will like.
Same as Nissan Mocco, which is what we use hankies for.
The Rambler American, restyled by Pinninfarina was given a very masculine name Torino.
IKA also used ship names the Kaiser Manhattan was Kaiser Carabela and the Alfa Romeo 1900 was the Kaiser Bergantin.
Citroën 2CV when produced with a more powerful engine was upgraded to Citroën 3CV.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:24:51 PM by ropat53 »

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 410
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2013, 06:04:58 AM »
I don't pay much attention to modern cars so only today noticed a Toyota Corolla Verso.
My publishing friends use "recto" and "verso" to mean the "front side" and "back side" of a piece of paper ;D
Good thing most of us don't know that, isn't it?
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2013, 06:15:29 AM »
I don't pay much attention to modern cars so only today noticed a Toyota Corolla Verso.
My publishing friends use "recto" and "verso" to mean the "front side" and "back side" of a piece of paper ;D
Good thing most of us don't know that, isn't it?

"recto" would be an apt title for some cars.......
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia