Author Topic: 2016 fleet update challenge  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Car-related musings
2016 fleet update challenge
« on: May 21, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »

I figure car buying advice falls under general automotive....

Wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of the month. We both work and commute about 30 miles a day round trip. Wife's current daily driver is a '95 Saturn SL2 with 195,000 miles. Mine is a '91 MR2 Turbo with 256,000 miles. We also have a 2009 Miata for roadtrips.

As you can see, we tend to favor small cars that are fun to drive, and we hang on to them for a while.

Wife would like a newer car, sedan or hatchback, with good rear visibility and  fuel economy being priorities. I'd like something fun to drive that I could conceivably put a car seat in from time to time.

We'd be looking to buy used, probably 2-3 years old, under 30k miles, preferably under $25,000 each. Thoughts? What should we buy, and how much of the current fleet should we get rid of? The current short list includes an Infiniti G37S, Mazdaspeed 3, and Focus ST. Anything else we should be looking at? We have garage space for three cars and off-street parking for two more, so we're not in dire need to down size. But adding another car at this point without getting rid of something seems silly. Is there any real point holding on to a two-seater after #3 arrives?

Thanks!
Quote from: Ultra
What possible higher authority could we appeal to than Steppenwolf?

Offline sixtee5cuda

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 422
  • Mopar Man
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: 2016 fleet update challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 06:16:44 PM »
If I was in your position, I would look at the current and future fleet members by function.

The Saturn and MR2 are both commuter cars.  Do your commuter cars really need more than 2 seats?  Is your commuting route in the slightest bit fun?  For commuting, the Miata might actually be a good option to replace the MR2.  You could buy another Miata to replace the Saturn.

As a roadtrip car, the Miata will have outlived its usefulness, as soon as there are three people in your family.  For road trips, definitely look at the Focus ST.  Also, look at non-mainstream performance sedans.  Kia Optima Turbo, Ford Fusion 2.0 Turbo, etc.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:45:39 AM »
A new Fiesta ST might be had for under the $25k limit, if one shops wisely.
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »
Only here at Autopuzzles!  ;D

Wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of the month

In any other place this sentence would have generated just one comment:

Congratulations!!  :drink: :applause: :cheer:

...but we are too car-centred, aren't we?

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 563
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 07:06:09 AM »
Only here at Autopuzzles!  ;D

Wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of the month

In any other place this sentence would have generated just one comment:

Congratulations!!  :drink: :applause: :cheer:

Noooo, one kid's much like another. Whereas cars.......

Seriously, congratulations Stephen, and all the very best to all 3 of you.

In the UK we have no idea what a Saturn is, unless we are members of AP. The Ford ST models are highly rated as fun and practical here in the UK - the Focus is priced around £25k so that'll be about 18k in your mickey-mouse currency. I suppose a Golf (Rabbit?) GTi would be ultra-expensive in the States? It would be the "most desired" hot hatch hereabouts.

Get a good car seat. Pay more than you'd really like to, and get the best. Safety is paramount, and you'll sleep at night.
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Online Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 11:53:32 AM »

In the UK we have no idea what a Saturn is,

Wasn't it what helped put some guys on the moon?
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 08:49:07 PM »

We are EXACTLY THE RIGHT AMOUNT of car-centred(1). That's why I asked here. :)

I should have clarified that the little one will be commuting with me, hence the need for me to have something car-seat-compatible. Day care is near where I work, rather than where I live.

My route to work has some nice two-lane, tree-lined, winding bits. Fun to drive if I leave before traffic settles in.

We did invest in a good car seat, and spare bases.

And as a proof of concept, I did demonstrate that the car seat will fit in the passenger seat of the MR2, which pre-dates passenger side airbags. Mixed feelings on this one. I've put 200k on it, know it like the back of my hand, and trust it with my life on a daily basis. It has amazing brakes, great grip, and is surprisingly good in the snow with proper snow tires. It has seen me through storms of all types. And none of that matters a lick when I'm T-boned at a stop by a texting SUV. So I'm not sure I can put the little guy in it. Maybe I'll hang on to it, and when he's old enough to want to, we'll go for a ride.

(1) Or centered, as we say across the pond. :D

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »
Congratulations!!!

G 37 is a sweet ride....
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 07:35:27 PM »
I should update with new arrival info:

Happy, healthy, baby boy arrived end of May. He has decided to maintain a minimal digital footprint at this early age, so apologies for lack of details. He does like riding in the car.

Used G37S arrived a week later. ~30 k miles. I'm still on the first tank of gas, but initial impressions are all very positive.

Very happy with both.  :D

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 06:28:53 AM »
Congratulations! :)
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »
I should update with new arrival info:

Happy, healthy, baby boy arrived end of May. He has decided to maintain a minimal digital footprint at this early age, so apologies for lack of details. He does like riding in the car.

Used G37S arrived a week later. ~30 k miles. I'm still on the first tank of gas, but initial impressions are all very positive.

Very happy with both.  :D

Sounds like the perfect additions.  I'm very pleased for you.  You'll make a great dad so quit worrying about it.
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Arthur Dent

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 39
  • Nobody's Prefect
    • Old Car Junkie
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 02:06:41 PM »
Congrats.

I used to take my (now 14 year old) son for rides in my Triumph Spitfire when he was about a year and a half old. He loved it.