Author Topic: Some Updates  (Read 4184 times)

Offline ChanceHuncha

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 117
  • College Student In Love With Cars.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Some Updates
« on: January 27, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
Hey y’all, its me. I’ve been on a little break for a while from the site but i’m here to share some big news...
So earlier all the way back in August I started my Junior year at high school, and I must say it’s been a good year so far. My school was nice enough to offer me a class two towns over from where my school where every morning, I learn some good ol’ Automobile Technology. This was a blessing, I could finally take a class that I cared about! So I enrolled and now every morning I have to wake up and drive to a different campus than my usual one to get taught a lesson or two about automobiles. There are about 29 some-odd kids in my class and its great.
In December, I took my final for the first semester, It was all over stuff like tools, safety, drum and disc brakes, and a bunch of small stuff. I studied day in day out for that test and when the day came, i finished it in 6 minutes. My brain hurt but it was worth all the studying because I got a 98%. And with that in the overall grade I got a 99%. Top in the class.
Because I did so well in the class, my teachers offered me an opportunity to compete in a national competition called SkillsUSA. This competition is a state-wide competition that you have to take a qualifying test for in order to compete. Right now im studying this 32-page packet and two different auto books until April, where i’ll take the test. And if I qualify, I’ll compete in May.
The reason i’ve spent a long time not posting puzzles or spending time solving is because i’ve dedicated a whole lot of time to all my school and auto stuff. My plan is to come back and start posting again soon. I’ve got a lot of puzzles that needa be solved...
One more cool thing is that I applied for a simple summer internship at a local car dealer. Just to do some general inspection work and car rearrangement. (Its a Chevy dealership so naturally everythings gonna be broken!) Before I apply I gotta get a ton of stuff like my transcript and letters of recommendation, Hey uhh... If any of you have titles in the auto industry i’d love to have you recommend me!-AH-AHEM.  I mean, so yeah. Sorry i’ve had a big absence but I just thought it would be nice to share my goals for trying to be in the auto industry as a Junior in high school. I started out on this website as a Freshmen only two years ago, we’ll see what the future holds...
Expect to see some puzzles from me soon!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:03:23 PM by ChanceHuncha »
Working on a 40,000+ Automobile Encyclopedia

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2320
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Some Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:18:58 PM »
Well done!  :thumbsup:

First work, then play!  ;)

Offline Oguerrerob

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1343
  • Ver 2.0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 01:28:23 AM »
Congrats!! Keep going and get your Golden Wheel Award!!

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:34:10 AM »
Excellent and very interesting  news. I'm afraid I have no qualifications which would support your cause, although I can tell you that you won't learn much about engineering in the dealership - these days if something doesn't work they just fit a new part rather than try to fix it. In the UK the mechanics are now called Technicians but know nothing about any car built before 1980.

Good luck. Great to hear things are going well for you.
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »
I own a pizzeria.  No real use.

Thanks for the update.   Hard work and likability are the two best tools in the chest of success.  Sounds like you’ve both in play.   
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 09:12:55 AM »
Impressive Chance.
Keep at it!
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline ChanceHuncha

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 117
  • College Student In Love With Cars.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 04:31:05 PM »
Hello again everybody!

Sheesh, it’s been more than a year since my last post, and it’s nice to see that the forums are still going strong with some new people getting familiar with puzzles and obscure cars. I’ve done the occasional lurking in the background, checking new posts and such, but i’ve never had the time to properly sit down and organize some puzzles together myself and do the thorough research for already existing puzzles, which is what i’ve been eager to do for a while now.
In my previous update, I went on about being in Automotive class and ASE testing and SkillsUSA etcetera etcetera... Well since I made that post before COVID, you could imagine I didn’t get to do all those things. Around mid-April of last year, the SkillsUSA competition was cancelled and ASE testing was put on hold. Even the internship I applied for went belly-up and the dealership itself closed for half a year. All I came out with was a first-year education of Automotive Technology and a “see ya next year, kid.” Needless to say I was bummed out. I am now currently in my senior year taking the advanced portion of Automotive Technology, along with a bunch of other classes that have been holding back my ability to make posts and such. I even had to take a huge break from my automotive encyclopedia project, which I’ve been meaning to converse with other encyclopedia people on here, but  just never got around to doing so.
Over the summertime between school, I started to formulate what I was gonna do after high school. Because automotive is still my passion, the possibilities were literally endless.  Ultimately, I settled on attending junior college for two years to earn an Associate’s degree, then I’ll transfer to a University for the remaining two years, maybe study abroad through their nifty little Japanese program, and come out the other end with a Bachelor’s. A bigger path than normal, but at least im not crawling into student debt face-first by attending university for four years straight. As for my major, Automotive Technology is still my prime target, but I’ve dabbled in other topics and possibly even minors like journalism and business. Journalism especially because I’ve always loved expressing thoughts through writing, and to do that with cars would be a dream job. Maybe I watched too much TopGear and read too much Car & Driver growing up, who knows?
As a side note to journalism and cars, I’ve recently started a blog on Instagram where I make posts regarding unique cars and fascinating history, with everything being written by me. Right now I don’t have many posts, but I plan to start making more frequent posts regarding stuff like cars lost to time, failed automobiles, and topical stuff like cars relating to the Sultan of Brunei collection. If any of you are interested in just reading some stories or even want to suggest something, go ahead and give me a follow @automotive_archive on Instagram.
So that’s pretty much all i’ve got to say about me. I hope you’re all doing well and i’m looking forward to getting back on the forms and conversing with everyone again. Thank you all for giving me a space to share my passion for the past four years. Expect to hear some replies from me soon!
Working on a 40,000+ Automobile Encyclopedia

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 04:36:52 AM »
Great to hear from you again. I'm sure everyone is very pleased that you are fit and well after all the shenanigans in the world of health. Sounds to me like you're very much in control of your future and know where you're going. You have my whole-hearted best wishes. Keep posting.
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 08:17:02 AM »
Nice to hear from you Chance.
Look most oldies I'm not into Instagram or Tweeting or that stuff, and never post on my Facebook page..
I have a car which is almost unique (it's been the only one on the road for the past 30 years but it's very recently been joined by the only other roadgoing one, which is in Switzerland).
If you want to mention it on any of your blogs you'd be welcome to; it's the car in my avatar but I could mail you some photos if you'd like.
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline Oguerrerob

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1343
  • Ver 2.0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 02:19:01 AM »
Nice to hear from you, Chance. Welcome back, whenever you can. Wish you luck. I've already follow you, @automotive_archive (Chance)  :thumbsup: