Author Topic: How are we all in these troubled times?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 410
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
How are we all in these troubled times?
« on: May 02, 2020, 03:42:43 AM »
I have noticed that several of our regular participants have not posted anything for a while and am worried that the coronavirus may have struck.
I decided to ask one of them and, as I had hoped, his normal existance is taking all his time, so he has no time for such playgrounds as Autopuzzles.

Our TV News has told us repeatedly that Italy and Spain have been most badly affected but no doubt all of us have to take precautions that may leave us without the time or will to post here and some, no doubt, are separated from their books.

I don't propose we should have a roll-call, but if you can post a word or two in this thread about how things are it would be interesting and (I hope) reassuring.
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2320
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: How are we all in these troubled times?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 03:56:45 AM »
I have been working in home office for five weeks now. It works and I enjoy that I don't have to commute to and from the company every morning and evening, but I miss the social contacts. Phone conferences and Skype sessions can't substitute that. When the small stores opened again last week I supported my local bookstore by buying the AFM book  :). Furthermore I notice that the veteran car magazines are piling up as I usually read them in the underground on my way to work and back. No corona virus infections in my family or friends, thanks for that.

Offline Oguerrerob

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1343
  • Ver 2.0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 04:18:48 AM »
Autopuzzles and Netflix have been my companion during this quarantine. I strongly recomend to take care and to follow the instructions.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 04:29:55 AM »
A nice idea Allan. I had an inkling that Wendax had been reading a book about AFMs, bearing in mind the number of additional images he'd been posting in the solved sections!

My life has barely changed. I live alone in an apartment, leaving only to replenish my fridge and for a daily walk. I am fully accustomed to not speaking to anyone for days on end, so nowt's different. Luckily for me, this means little chance of mental health problems. My reference books are in the spare bedroom, but I must admit that the lockdown seems to have caused an odd lethargy in me, and sometimes I can't be bothered to get out of my chair to check something!

Last month my two subscription magazines took 14 and 20 days respectively to reach me. This month Motor Sport arrived 2 days early! I have attempted an Airfix 1/72 kit and realised that what seemed quite large to an 8 year-old is now miniscule and my eyes and hands really couldn't manage the simplest of tasks. I have donated some others to my daughter's neighbour who is self-isolating in a caravan in his drive and is going stir-crazy. He's a funeral director so has to continue work.

I badly need a haircut. Now I'm off to inject myself with disinfectant.

Andy

PS I really, really hope everyone is OK.........

I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Online oko94

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1331
  • Investigator
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 04:48:02 AM »
I have been working from home from mid March. My wife is in home office mode too and we have to take care of our 4-year and 4-month kids, so there's little time left to solve puzzles.

Half a dozen of my colleagues got probably infected and I felt sick for a few days so I guess I got the "mild" version of that damn virus. Can't be sure though, as only the dead and the severely ill are tested over here.

Glad to see that most of the regular members are OK.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 09:46:48 AM »
We all see the posts from the regulars of course; it's the ones who aren't posting who are really the ones we want to make sure are OK.
Allan started with el_monty, who is fine but very busy with educational and house work (including a baby!)

Being retired my life has changed little: get up, take the dog for a walk, have lunch, take the dog for a walk, have a game with the grandchilden (I have 2 of them living with me), have dinner, watch TV and go to bed!  Life's so hard...

All interspersed with attending to emails and of course logging on to AP a dozen times a day! If only I knew some of the answers...

Apart from not being able to see friends, what I miss most is all the car events I should have been going to this season; and of course Formula 1.
I'm not even allowed to take my classic out for a spin but it seems these rules might all be changing before too long.
Too late for events and meetings to be reorganized though..  At my age I can't afford to miss a year; there aren't enough left!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:39:14 PM by Carnut »
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 410
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 08:09:31 AM »
Working from el_monty's lists here, I see that these high ranking members have been active this year but not for a couple of months:
Tom_I
Ehhxact
faksta
74america
Iluvatar
Craig Gillingham
DynaMike
DeAutogds

Oh and I'll report that I am spending too much time on here and other sites and not enough in the garage! We VSCC rallying competitors were going to have a slim year anyway but it's all vanished now. If I don't use the car I don't need to maintain/repair it.
The garden is in slightly better shape than normal.
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 08:34:24 AM »
I'm not too troubled by this list. None of the members are what I'd call regular visitors - I woild normally attribute this to someone who logs on almost daily.

Nontheless, I do hope they are all safe and well.

Offline gilescooperuk

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 92
  • Croft
    • www.gilescooper.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
Still around, but job hunting - anyone need a Cisco network engineer working remotely, contract or permanent work.....

Either that or based around Peterborough Uk

May as well ask....
www.gilescooperphotography.co.uk
Cars and er other photos

Offline neilshouse

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 420
  • I want one!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 02:46:38 AM »
My wife has a gardening company so I've been recruited as an assistant gardener, with practice the stripy lawns are getting straighter. Forgotten what my MX5 is like to drive, will feel very low compared to the Ford Transit I'm sure.

Been building a workshop in my garden with the plan of (one day) restoring my 1955 A30 in it, mini diggers are great fun!

Hope all the AP members and their families are keeping safe and happy during these unsettling times.

All the best.

Neil

Offline jotage21

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 334
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 05:33:37 PM »
I“m taking care of my 8-month daughter, a future gearhead carnut
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:44:38 PM by jotage21 »

Offline Oguerrerob

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1343
  • Ver 2.0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 12:39:45 AM »
Congrats!!!

Offline jotage21

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 334
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »
Where are the toy cars?!

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
Where are the toy cars?!

Ignore him! My daughter didn't want anything to do with cars until she was 17. She's a beautiful baby - many congratulations. It's sad that she has been born into a strange time in the history of our planet. Let's hope for better times ahead for her.

Offline jotage21

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 334
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 03:06:02 PM »
Where are the toy cars?!

Ignore him! My daughter didn't want anything to do with cars until she was 17. She's a beautiful baby - many congratulations. It's sad that she has been born into a strange time in the history of our planet. Let's hope for better times ahead for her.
Thank you

Offline jotage21

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 334
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 03:07:43 PM »
Where are the toy cars?!
At the moment she doesn“t have one....but ASAP, after quarentine

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 03:24:22 PM »
Congrats Josč! So glad to see so much beauty in a post like this.
Nice idea, BTW Allan. My life changed very little. More work from home (and for an air traffic controller that is pretty weird) but fortunately all is OK in my circle of family, friends and colleagues. It's been heavy and surreal, but it seems we are facing better times now. Not over yet, but much better.

Offline jotage21

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 334
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 08:05:49 PM »
Thank you Maurizi

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 06:33:50 AM »
I have a so called "strukturrelevanten Beruf" ("structure relevant profession" in English?), so my daily life did not change very much.
To be honest I rather enjoyed the silent time with very low traffic, no aeroplanes polluting the blue sky, annoying people in quarantine..  ;D
but two of my best friends got COVID-19 during their holidays in Austria. They experienced a very hard time.
My family including my 86 year old dad are all safe and healthy as well as I am.

I do miss hugging friends, parties and events, but have no problem to follow the instructions which are NOT torture or restriction of freedom in my opinion!

All the best to all of you and stay safe!

Offline jotage21

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 334
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 03:57:23 PM »
Where are the toy cars?!
The first one, a Ford Ka
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 03:59:57 PM by jotage21 »

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »
 :car: :thumbsup:

Offline mekubb

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 305
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 05:21:14 PM »
Good idea to stay in touch this way ! Hope all you guys are still okay and healthy. I'm in the travel business so I have seen better times.......I already work from home a lot so no big changes in that respect. Hopefully 2021 will be a better year !

P.S. If anyone is looking for a nice holiday rental in Austria, Germany or Spain, feel free to contact me  :)

Cheers,

Tobias