Author Topic: 1985 Honda Shadow 700.  (Read 15699 times)

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: 1985 Honda Shadow 700.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 07:53:21 AM »
Sorry for the unreliability.....

All that matters is a welcome back.

You were missed.

Congrats on the new bike!!!!  8)

Am planning on taking a MSF course here in a month to hone my skill a bit more before I engage in a copycat.

Thinking about doing the same.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 08:15:43 AM by Ultra »
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 06:31:10 PM »
I wanna see pics of your bike, Rich.

I want you to tell me all about it.  ???

Offline Rich

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 11
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 06:55:48 PM »
Still haven't moved into the 21st century U...no digital camera as of yet, but have some pics of it on "film" (remember that stuff?) and will get a CD w/ development and try and upload some pics of it then.

You can see exactly what it looks like by going to the harley website, clicking on the Softail section of the bikes, and switching the color from whatever it is to black pearl.

The story is fairly simple:  I have a friend/employee who basically inherited an '02 Indian Chief Roadmaster and knew that I'd been itching for a bike for a while again.  He got me over to the local harley shop and I looked around but previous to that I'd been thinking about a Honda CBR1000 - cheaper and seemingly easier to ride.  Anyway, found the FLSTN sitting on the showroom floor; the '07's have 96" motors and six speed trannys and those two mods really interested me, however, we've been in the midst of some, uh, fiscal pragmatism w/ downsizing offices and remodeling homes, etc, and I simply determined that now was not the right time.

I was really at peace with the decision, thinking that next spring might be the time and was in the midst of all the shit that's going on here (and I mean shit) one day when the missus calls me up to see if I want to grab lunch.  She's in kind of a goofy mood when I get into the Titan and she says that she's got a surprise.  Given all our shit surprises lately, I roll my eyes and say "Now what?" and she drops the key into my lap.  She essentially did it all on her own; I had told her I was fine waiting and that I might not do it at all.  I spent the rest of the day kicking myself in the head for only realizing what a wonderful wife I have when she gives me a present....that's another story however.

Went to the dealer the next day for delivery, still highly apprehensive about the whole situation from a fiscal perspective, went through the process and was pretty impressed by same.  They certainly have taken some lessons from the Lexus experience re- bike delivery.  They roll it out, I get onto it, and immediately almost take out an entire line of hardcore bikers' bikes who were in the lot taking a break on their way to Sturgis.  Ego firmly in check, I motored over to the nearby Wal-Mart parking lot in an attempt to get my sea legs under me again and with not a little effort, eventually did so.

A week and a half later (almost two to the date, thinking about it) I've put on over six hundred miles....

It's no crotch rocket, but it's 0-60 time and torquey motor makes anything I've ever driven w/ four wheels feel pretty slow.

that's about it...will post pics here shortly...if it doesn't kill me..........

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 04:27:13 AM »

All that matters is a welcome back.

You were missed.

Congrats on the new bike!!!!  8)

Couldn't have said it better.

Both of you, get thee (thees?) to a class, ASAP! 
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Jagman

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 6
    • Dave's Jag
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 11:01:23 AM »
Hey Rich, congrats on the new ride!

Every time my BIL comes over on his Yamadog V-max I get the itch again, but around here the season is so limited, between rain, heat and humidity then rain, cold snow sleet hail and other forms of ice, we only get a couple of weeks in the spring and fall to really enjoy a bike. Then there's the fact that no matter where you ride, you're still pretty much in Kansas........

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2006, 11:20:58 AM »
Both of you, get thee (thees?) to a class, ASAP! 

Yes Dad.  :-[

Rich, great story.

I am getting involved with a woman, two hundred miles away, but it feels right.  Knowing how alike we are, I read stuff like that and hope I learn how not to fall into the same behaviors you lament.

If I ever get a comfortable seat for this thing, perhaps I will get to ride w/you someday.

8)

Offline Rich

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 11
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »
Two hundred miles?  That's just a nice ride.......especially with what waits for you at days' end.....

Next year, Sturgis.  It's a for sure thing here, and from what I understand Honda riders don't get stomped anymore.... ;)

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2006, 10:16:02 PM »
I am going to do everything I can to be at Sturgis next year.

This link is to an article al labout the new changes made to the motor in your new bike, Rich:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/2007_harley_davidson_motorcycle_models/

Check it out.

Offline Rich

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 11
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2006, 11:14:35 PM »
Showers of thanks, U.  If we're going to do Sturgis, we might have to start doing some planning now.  From what I understand, hotel bookings are made at least a year in advance and Harley reportedly books nearly the whole area and then jacks the prices....

My riding buddy and I are considering several options, including trailering (blush) the bikes to, say, Spearfish or somewhere in there and riding in and out to the festivities, allowing old farts like us to get a decent night's sleep here and there, an impossibility in Sturgis proper.  Another option we were considering is riding out, making sure the bikes were covered in the layers of prerequisite bugs reflective of hardcore biker mentality, while our wives followed behind towing one of our camp coaches.  We'd always have room for another re- that lodging arrangment and we're actually pretty decent people once you're around us for a while.

Just some thoughts....

EDIT:  FWIW, that new CVO Springer is really sweet, but a bit over-the-top for my reputation.....

r
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:17:12 PM by Rich »

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2006, 11:23:26 PM »
Showers of thanks, U.  If we're going to do Sturgis, we might have to start doing some planning now.  From what I understand, hotel bookings are made at least a year in advance and Harley reportedly books nearly the whole area and then jacks the prices....

My riding buddy and I are considering several options, including trailering (blush) the bikes to, say, Spearfish or somewhere in there and riding in and out to the festivities, allowing old farts like us to get a decent night's sleep here and there, an impossibility in Sturgis proper.  Another option we were considering is riding out, making sure the bikes were covered in the layers of prerequisite bugs reflective of hardcore biker mentality, while our wives followed behind towing one of our camp coaches.  We'd always have room for another re- that lodging arrangment and we're actually pretty decent people once you're around us for a while.

Just some thoughts....

EDIT:  FWIW, that new CVO Springer is really sweet, but a bit over-the-top for my reputation.....

r

I planned on camping the whole way there and back.  I wouldn't want to stay in Sturgis.  Too many people for my taste.  I would rather stay in a campground removed a bit from the epicenter anyway.  I will have to MapQuest Spearfish but you can count me in right now.  If any funds are needed to reserve sites or whatever, just let me know.

I've gotta check out Deadwood.  ;D

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2006, 02:47:52 PM »
Just over 1,200 miles to Spearfish.

Wondering if I can ride that in two days?  ???

Definitely considering that Corbin seat and highway bars now.  :-\

Offline Rich

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 11
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2006, 06:07:43 PM »
hmmmm....dunno....1200 miles, for me anyway, would be quite a trek in two days via me motorsickle.  I recently put on 300 in one day, w/ several stops along the way, and was surprised at how that hit me....

r

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 09:29:12 PM »
hmmmm....dunno....1200 miles, for me anyway, would be quite a trek in two days via me motorsickle.  I recently put on 300 in one day, w/ several stops along the way, and was surprised at how that hit me....

r

I hear you.

To do 600 miles a day will be very tiring.

Time will tell if I am up to that or not.

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 12:21:27 PM »
My MSF course is this Friday, Sat and Sun.  Only $25 bucks and they provide the bikes.  Cheap at twice the price.  It is held at the old Wurtsmith Air Force base in Oscoda.  My mother lives about a mile from there and I am planning on staying with her for the weekend.

I will share all the details about the course after I take it.

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2006, 11:05:29 PM »
My MSF course is this Friday, Sat and Sun.  Only $25 bucks and they provide the bikes.  Cheap at twice the price.  It is held at the old Wurtsmith Air Force base in Oscoda.  My mother lives about a mile from there and I am planning on staying with her for the weekend.

I will share all the details about the course after I take it.

If anyone is interested, I passed the course with flying colors.

Friday night we spent about four hours going over the material in the MSF handook with corresponding videos in sections.  Saturday and Sunday we rode their motorcycles and learned the basics of motorcycling.  I rode a brand new Suzuki 250.  Cute little bike.  The metallic powder blue color was really nice.  Overall, I didn't really feel like the class taught me new things.  It did, however, give me the chance to practice lots of techniques and, overall, for $25 dollars it was a real bargain.  I would recommend it to all motorcyclists.  Plus, too and also, the certificate for graduating the class will get you a discount on your insurance!   8)

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2006, 11:06:28 PM »
The rest of the study questions:

Offline Rich

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 11
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2006, 11:24:08 PM »
You're not gonna believe this but, swear to God, my bike for my course was also a pale blue Suzuki 250.  Balky shifter, but other than that, pretty fun and nimble...at least compared to my H-D.

r

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2006, 11:30:03 PM »
pretty fun and nimble

No doubt!  Makes me think a little, good handling bike could be a real blast to own.

Offline Rich

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 11
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2006, 11:32:59 PM »
Yeah, me too.  Was originally looking seriously at a CBR 1000, if only for the purebred speed and agility it offered.  It also felt "right" under me when I sat on it, but then the missus pulled my 45th b-day surprise w/ the H-D and that was that.  Still am aware that different bikes, like cars, exist for different purposes.  Accidentally ended up on some crushed shale gravel w/ the Deluxe for about seven miles recently...longest hour of my life.... :o

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2006, 11:39:57 PM »
Accidentally ended up on some crushed shale gravel w/ the Deluxe for about seven miles recently...longest hour of my life.... :o

I hear that!

I can deal with poor surfaces.  I prefer to do it slowly.

My leg is still a little hard and bruised where it made contact with the bar.

Offline Jagman

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 6
    • Dave's Jag
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2006, 05:23:17 PM »
Somebody explain the allure of Sturgis to me - at least in the context of today's event. I can understand say, 20 or even 15 years ago, but now? Now it's so commercial, so crowded and sooooo hot!

If you go Ultra, may I suggest you stop your second day's ride about 100 miles short, then get a good night's rest before tackling the traffic and heat you're sure to run into 25 miles from town. I can't imagine fighting slow moving traffic after a 600 mile ride on a steaming hot day.

I think Rich has the right idea, tow the bikes to within about 50 - 100 miles, then ride the rest, and have the motor home to go back to when you get tired, hot and ready for some peace and quiet -- cause you won't find any in town. Wonder if the ride in would be any easier if coming from the north instead of due east and west - where everyone else is riding?

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2006, 04:51:39 AM »

#28: the left goggle lens, and the right goggle lens.
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2006, 04:55:25 AM »

:D ;D

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2006, 11:06:49 AM »

:D ;D

Some of the last rides of the 2006 year are occuring right about now for the Shadow.

:'(

Winter sucks.  :P

Offline Rich

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 11
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2006, 12:17:02 PM »
My riding buddy and I went on a pretty large loop last Friday through SE Idaho...colors changing, saw some deer, twisty roads, crisp air, beautiful blue skies, speeds ranging from a crawl (through Pocatello traffic, BION) to...uhhh...above the limit.

The remainder of last week?....rainy, cold.  This week we're supposed to get some mid-fifties days so might get some commuting in yet...

Winter sucks...until the Cats start to prowl....

r