Author Topic: My new $100 Aluminum/Carbon Trek  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Bezor

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • A Hairball?
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
My new $100 Aluminum/Carbon Trek
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:32:39 AM »

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:48:23 AM by Bezor »

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: My new $100 Aluminum/Carbon Trek
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 03:33:27 AM »
Nice.

Around here a mountain bike is more suitable for the inevitable dirt trails.
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:41:38 AM »
How did you get this for $100 only?  :o

Offline MG

• Free Radical
  • Puzzle Points 12
  • Designated Driver
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 05:53:21 AM »
Allemano raises a good question. Your thread title titillates, but the body provides no answers.  Inquiring minds want to know.    ???
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away!

DeAutogids.nl

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:01 AM »
100 dollar. I would buy one for that kinda money

Offline Bezor

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • A Hairball?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:50:15 PM »
My very reliable friend is a hard-core bike rider.  He bought this with the intention of reselling it (no it's not stolen).  Retail on this '08 Trek is around $800.  I sold my Centurion Lemans road bike to a collector in S.F. for $200 and had a difficult time letting it go as I'd had it since new in '88.  I would have held on to it until I found the right buyer because Centurion Tange2 frames are usually turned into single-speed fixies. Given the condition that I keep my stuff in, I'd have waited it out for the "right" buyer.  Meh, what can I say?  Mark to market is one thing, but I'm sentimental too.   The deal for the Trek was $400.  Selling the Centurion brought that down to $200.  The guy also has a Merc that he wanted detailed which we agreed at $100 for an exterior detail.   

What the bike still needs:  I bought new Look Keo pedals as my old ones went with the Centurion.  They were original to when I bought them and the tension for their release was ridiculously weak, the cleats needed replacement anyway.   So, I'm out the cost of new Look Keo pedals and the ones I bought are the low rent series.  The saddle will probably need replacement, as this one is clearly supplied at a price point.  The brakes are adequate but I might upgrade the pads.  Since this is a triple, the cross-chaining is bad and for some reason I get the feeling the derailers will need fiddling.  I'm not so sure I won't upgrade to a Shimano 105 group set.

Hence, a well bought bike.

The mark up on bikes is stunning.  Buying new is worse than buying a new car given the depreciation.  Down economies can be good for some things after all.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:59:43 PM by Bezor »

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 04:35:53 AM »
Today I was supposed to go out with my bike (nothing fancy, just a mountan bike) but it's raining!
Another benefit to live in Tuscany is that you can ride your bike for 725Km in one month (like I did this month) without dodging cars and risking your life...and you can decide for mountain or seaside as well!

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 04:40:36 AM »
I have a 20 year old Faggin "classic racer" with Cinelli equipment which I got on Ebay for 30 (!) Euros.
Last year I made a 190 km day trip from the river head of the Ruhr back to my home town Essen.
After that I had to stay in bed for three days...

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:56:10 AM by Allemano »

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 04:52:10 AM »
This place is just 45km away from my home and you can reach it only after 4km of dirty roads, so it's not that crowed.
I often go there with my bike, spent the day snorkeling and get back...90km or real pleasure...(actually 500km of this month's mileage were spent for that destination...)

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 04:54:58 AM »
what a beautiful place!

Offline Bezor

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • A Hairball?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »
This place is just 45km away from my home and you can reach it only after 4km of dirty roads, so it's not that crowed.
I often go there with my bike, spent the day snorkeling and get back...90km or real pleasure...(actually 500km of this month's mileage were spent for that destination...)

Those pictures are stunning.  :)

Offline Bezor

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 2
  • A Hairball?
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 11:26:24 PM »
I have a 20 year old Faggin "classic racer" with Cinelli equipment which I got on Ebay for 30 (!) Euros.
Last year I made a 190 km day trip from the river head of the Ruhr back to my home town Essen.
After that I had to stay in bed for three days...

That is a beautiful bike.  I'm doing more research on Faggin. 

Offline Amsterdam

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 179
  • xxxAMSTERDAMxxx
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • www.xanaduambulldogs.nl
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
Now that is a nice bike to have!......unfortunately not when you live in Amsterdam!
This is why I can not have a nice bike like that :'(

Offline knightfan26917

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 7
  • Mr. Monte Carlo/Road Trip
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Cort's Cars
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »
VERY nice purchase, Bezor!

And, Paul ... that is an awesome place.

Hmph ... I can't remember the last time I rode my bicycle.  But, when I was a "youngster", I rode that thing EVERYWHERE.  It was hard to keep me off it.

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrekRT=Aug2010 *
MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I'm in no hurry" ... Citizen King ... 'Better Days'

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I haven't rode the bike in about 5 years.
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car