Author Topic: $500 Reward!!! Who Built This Car?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline karguy

• Puzzle Points 2
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
$500 Reward!!! Who Built This Car?
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:55:21 PM »
UPDATE:  I am now offering a $500 reward to anyone that can produce a period photograph of this car OR conclusively identify the builder. 

This car has been recently discovered and the builder is a mystery. Some additional information about the car itself can be found in a discussion about it at the link below. However the builder and the history from 1988 back is a complete mystery. You guys seem to be pretty good at identifying obscure cars others can't figure out so how about giving it a shot?  So far it has stumped some pretty good experts and several other websites.

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/1930-pierce-arrow-land-speed-record-348722.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:20:04 PM by karguy »

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: I Need Help Identifying This One!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:29:39 AM »
I think the info on those other pages is wrong. This is clearly a very large baked potato, wrapped in foil, and moved about on a trolley equipped with mini-spare tires. Any coincidence to an old Pierce-Arrow is coincidental. 
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline karguy

• Puzzle Points 2
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
I think the info on those other pages is wrong. This is clearly a very large baked potato, wrapped in foil, and moved about on a trolley equipped with mini-spare tires. Any coincidence to an old Pierce-Arrow is coincidental. 

Well that explains our half baked plan to restore the car!  :)

I have been looking through all of the cars listed on the website and there are thousands of obscure cars out here (good job guys!) Are there any images of THIS car somewhere out on this website? We are offering a $100 reward for either a period photo of this car or identification of the builder or it's history. Can someone please post this as an "Expert" puzzle along with the $100 prize for solving it??
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:49:01 PM by karguy »

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »
Are pros out?

Offline karguy

• Puzzle Points 2
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
Post it ANYWHERE you think someone can identify the car's builder or history. So far it has stumped everyone from multiple websites (like AACA and HAMB) and numerous national car experts. Post it in all three at the same time if you want!

Are you any relation to the Paul Jaray that designed and Airflow and the Adler Rennlimousine?  I used to own the Adler Rennlimousine that raced at Lemans.

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
As you can see here that is the kind of cars I love!
http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=11958.0

I'm sure your car will be id sooner or later...it's too ...wow... to pass unnoticed and a piece of paper leaves a trail!

(I'm in no-way related to that PJ, I just admire his work  ;) )

Offline karguy

• Puzzle Points 2
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »
I noticed that you included the streamliners of Ray Russell. There is a connection to the Russell cars and this car. Ray Russell built one of his streamliners in plastic. The body was covered in a stainless steel mesh and then he applied Ethyl Cellulose over it using a modified caulking gun. This is exactly how the original body of this car was built. The body on this car has the original mesh in places as well as the Ethyl Cellulose layers. You can even see the three inch wide striations from the application of the caulking gun!

Offline karguy

• Puzzle Points 2
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:39:39 PM »
PJ,

I just got done reading your article about your Harris Special!! Amazing!!. The Biggs barn fire story was one I remember from long ago but could never find info on regarding the Alfa that was burned. In your article you talk about the influences of other streamlined cars at the time... Is it just me, or do you see definite resemblances between these two cars in shape, construction and form? They were both built during the same time period. It's a chicken/egg thing. I have no idea where or when the Pierce land speed car was built, but it was definitely in the 30's. The front end tapper, the grille opening, the flat sides that round at the top, the hood bulge (which you can't clearly see from my foil body) and basic form are all very similar. AMAZING.  :)  I attribute the blunted rear design of the Pierce to a 1934 article in Modern Mechanics outlining the elimination of rear vacuum if a blunted, rounded rear body is used rather than a long tail type body previously thought to be best. I feel the builder of the Pierce may have also read that article and incorporated that new technology into the design of this Pierce streamliner. 

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
I noticed that you included the streamliners of Ray Russell. There is a connection to the Russell cars and this car. Ray Russell built one of his streamliners in plastic. The body was covered in a stainless steel mesh and then he applied Ethyl Cellulose over it using a modified caulking gun. This is exactly how the original body of this car was built. The body on this car has the original mesh in places as well as the Ethyl Cellulose layers. You can even see the three inch wide striations from the application of the caulking gun!
Amazing indeed!
When I had a look into my HD, I noticed this car...nothing to compare to yours, but it got my attention.
I don't know if it's the one you mentioned, but it's one of Russel's cars!
PJ,

I just got done reading your article about your Harris Special!! Amazing!!. The Biggs barn fire story was one I remember from long ago but could never find info on regarding the Alfa that was burned. In your article you talk about the influences of other streamlined cars at the time... Is it just me, or do you see definite resemblances between these two cars in shape, construction and form? They were both built during the same time period. It's a chicken/egg thing. I have no idea where or when the Pierce land speed car was built, but it was definitely in the 30's. The front end tapper, the grille opening, the flat sides that round at the top, the hood bulge (which you can't clearly see from my foil body) and basic form are all very similar. AMAZING.  :)  I attribute the blunted rear design of the Pierce to a 1934 article in Modern Mechanics outlining the elimination of rear vacuum if a blunted, rounded rear body is used rather than a long tail type body previously thought to be best. I feel the builder of the Pierce may have also read that article and incorporated that new technology into the design of this Pierce streamliner.  

Please note that the article was posted by me but realized by the happy owner of Harris' car, motorcar1. I just helped him composing the article adding some pics.
Harris' car is quite similar to yours and they both took quite a radical diversion from the usual 'streamline' concept of that era, not a teardrop but straight lines!

Offline karguy

• Puzzle Points 2
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »
Can someone please put my car over on the Puzzle board so people will work on ID'ing it???   ???

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 05:47:45 AM »
Done.

In return, please remember to respond to questions asked by the members here - even if you don't know the answer.

Thanks!  :)
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
I have found this photo of the car in what appears to be the 50s/60s, used as an advertising vehicle. It is claimed that the car was built for a James Stewart movie in 1937. I reckon the Pierce Arrow base was used at the time because it happened to be lying around unused, and suited the prop-maker's purpose.

(Whoops. I've just realised that this picture was on the aaca forum thread. Still interesting, though).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:03:43 AM by nicanary »
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:09:28 AM »
That is the Thunderbowl...we had it before:
http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=7615.msg56907#msg56907  ;)

I must learn not to scan threads too quickly ! Looking again, it is clearly NOT the same car as the "Pierce Arrow" find. Apologies.
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline karguy

• Puzzle Points 2
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
I am now offering a $500 reward to anyone who can either produce a period photo of this car during its build or being run anywhere at any time OR conclusive proof of the builder.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: $500 Reward!!! Who Built This Car?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 08:49:43 AM »
Moving to the Black Hole...
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline Oguerrerob

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1343
  • Ver 2.0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: $500 Reward!!! Who Built This Car?
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 01:47:10 AM »
I've found some pictures of this car tagged as Pierce Arrow Land Speed Record Car