Author Topic: Nico Rosberg Retires  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Nico Rosberg Retires
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:16:37 PM »
Good on em.   Had as teammates the top two drivers in total wins in the history of the sport and beat both of them in at least one season. 

Congrats to Nico.
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Nico Rosberg Retires
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
Knowing how childish some F1 followers can be, no doubt some Hamilton fans will claim he's running scared, feeling that he's had his lucky year and won't be able to repeat his success next year. I don't see it that way - good for him if that's what he wants to do. He retires on a high, and can now devote time to his personal life. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do, Nico.
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline oko94

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1332
  • Investigator
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »
At first I thought SniffPetrol had hacked AutoPuzzles !

I really didn't see that coming. Now who's gonna get the 2nd Mercedes seat ?

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »
At first I thought SniffPetrol had hacked AutoPuzzles !

I really didn't see that coming. Now who's gonna get the 2nd Mercedes seat ?

Believe the favourite is Wehrlein followed by Vettel, but Button and Alonso have also been mentioned!
I think Verstappen would tear up his contract if he had half a chance...
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 410
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 03:40:41 AM »
Well Rosberg (N) has won the Championship as often as his father did, which is more than most of todays go-cart trained young men can say!
A geriatric comments that there are so many races these days and so little that is memorable about any of 'em.
Similarly, so many WDC points for each leads me to say that Rosberg was credited with ten more points this year than the total of all scores in 1973
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 04:16:13 AM »
Well Rosberg (N) has won the Championship as often as his father did, which is more than most of todays go-cart trained young men can say!
A geriatric comments that there are so many races these days and so little that is memorable about any of 'em.
Similarly, so many WDC points for each leads me to say that Rosberg was credited with ten more points this year than the total of all scores in 1973

I belong to the same camp as yourself, but I think we have to consider that Grand Prix racing is now in an entirely different era, and comparisons are a bit pointless (no pun intended). IMO Formula One is dead and buried as a sport; what we have now is a race series  in the form of a circus, carefully managed and co-ordinated to entertain a completely new breed of customer. It's what BCE set out to do, and he's achieved it and made billionaires out of a lot of people. Remember the days when Frank Williams ran his team from a phone box, and had to hide when the creditors came calling? They all love Bernie these days, even if they put up token resistance from time to time.

I admit I can't recall any of the races this year, or from the last decade. However, that's what the new management want - no reminiscing, let's get on to the next payday. Until they run out of tinpot countries who want 15 minutes in the limelight, that's the way it'll be.

BTW Keke Rosberg was one of my favourites back in the day. and I know that DSJ had time for him. He may have won the championship in rather dubious style, but he made up for it the next year with his efforts to keep up with the turbo cars. He was the only driver who bothered and it was a sight to behold as he pushed his car to its screaming limits in a vain attempt to protect his title. Plus he was "cool" - Allan L probably saw "that lap" at Silverstone in practice.

I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »
Doesn't need the money and has nothing to prove, which to me means he's retiring because it just isn't fun anymore.

Which is a sad statement about F1, if traveling the world racing someone else' car isn't fun.  ???

Quote from: Ultra
What possible higher authority could we appeal to than Steppenwolf?

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »
Doesn't need the money and has nothing to prove, which to me means he's retiring because it just isn't fun anymore.

Which is a sad statement about F1, if traveling the world racing someone else' car isn't fun.  ???

Exactly.   
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 05:04:50 AM »
I don't really understand it.
At only 31 there's plenty more to achieve (there must be races he hasn't won); usually these guys do it because they are compelled to do so and don't give it up until they absolutely have to (c.f. Jenson Button).
Plus the £15 million per year would be fairly useful for another few years...

Cherchez la femme!

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 04:07:22 AM »
Mercedes have approach Valtteri Bottas but have been rejected, which of course is usually just the start to get them increasing the offer...
I believe Toto Wolff is part of Bottas's management team so nothing will be quite what it seems; it's probably a done deal already!