Author Topic: Solved: Allemano's № 467 - Carrozzeria Watanabe Leopard  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Solved: Allemano's № 467 - Carrozzeria Watanabe Leopard
« on: August 14, 2010, 04:15:58 AM »
Please respond below if you know the make and model designation of this car.
One point for the right and complete answer!

If you haven't registered yet, you'll need to do so in order to reply and to post your own puzzles
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:04:28 AM by Allemano »

Offline chapel

• Puzzle Points 9
  • Contributatorz
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • North Shore Innovations
Re: Allemano's № 467
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:36:54 PM »
looks like a beetle kit car
1995 Buick Roadmaster

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
looks like a beetle kit car
.. but it isn't.

Offline chapel

• Puzzle Points 9
  • Contributatorz
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • North Shore Innovations
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
good, that saves me a LOT of futile searching through my beetle kit car archives...
1995 Buick Roadmaster

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »
experts?

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 06:38:40 AM »
Will Pro's know what this could be?

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 06:40:12 AM »
Designed by Watanabe? I've not seen the back of the Flying Pegasus Griffon , but the side looks about right.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:43:17 AM by Otto Puzzell »
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 06:52:41 AM »
Sharp eye Mr. Puzzell! :thumbsup:
This indeed the back view of the Carrozzeria Watanabe "Flying Pegasus/Griffon"  I'm still not sure what is the real name of it as it seems that actually "Flying Pegasus" was a character in a Japanese TV action series on which the Griffon was one the proganists' car.
I'm very happy that it still exists.
And the other Griffon model exists, too (pic 2 & 3)
Here's a current 3/4 view of the puzzle car:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:04:12 AM by Allemano »

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Solved: Allemano's № 467 - Carrozzeria Watanabe Griffon (Flying Pegasus)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 07:10:31 AM »
The other car looks a bit like a SAAB Sonnet from the back. The puzzle car looks a lot like an LMX Sirex. Any connection between Watanabe and the Sirex?

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 07:10:40 AM »
The Japanese trash novela was called "Sutorada Blitz" and the blue car is the modified Watanabe Griffon (golden car of the previous post)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:09:38 AM by Allemano »

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 07:14:30 AM »
The other car looks a bit like a SAAB Sonnet from the back. The puzzle car looks a lot like an LMX Sirex. Any connection between Watanabe and the Sirex?

All of those seem to have Honda S800 mechanicals under the body.

Here's the unveiled pic of the first post:

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 07:39:10 AM »

Maybe Mr. Watanabe got inspired by the Sirex ,but I don't believe there was a direct connection.

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:50 AM »
All of those seem to have Honda S800 mechanicals under the body.

Here's the unveiled pic of the first post:

The rear end reads 'Nissan'  ???

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 08:07:58 AM »
Yes, first I was about to read Nissan, too, but if you look closely you see that the first letter is missing. Think it's something like "Assam" or "Assan" etc.

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 08:24:51 AM »
Considering the design of both cars I suppose that "Flying Peagus" (the yellow car) is Griffon I while the golden car is Griffon II. However I have no proof for that theory.

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 08:43:28 AM »
Now it's getting really cryptical. According to the Watanabe page of our Pal there was a car called the "Basilic" which was based on a Datsun/Nissan SR311 roadster.
Looking at our puzzle car it appears that there are the same numbers written on the door.
Maybe I'm mistaken and faksta is right with 'Nissan' written above SR311?  ???

Such a shame that we don't have a single member from Japan.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:46:21 AM by Allemano »

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 02:03:39 PM »
Basillic looks much different. Picture to follow

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
I know. It's one those neo-classic designs, not very appealing.

I could imagine that there are still some uncertainties about this make..

Offline sixtee5cuda

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 420
  • Mopar Man
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
This car is based on the Nissan SR311 Fairlady Roadster.  In at least one image, the words "Nissan SR311" are visible on the left door.  The attached, enlarged image of the rear of the car, clearly shows the word "Nissan" by the left tail light.  Both the left door and the panel next to the right tail light, appear to have kanji lettering.  This may be the actual name of the car.

The second attached image shows the SR311 instrument panel.

I do suspect that Watanabe started building this car using parts from an LMX Sirex.  Most of the front of the car, and the door mechanisms appear exactly the same. 

There is a Japanese web site from 2011 showing images of this car.  It refers to this car as the Basilic.  Either the car didn't actually have a name, or any Watanabe car based on an SR311 was called "Basilic".

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 02:46:12 AM »
Found this today..
So, is there anyone who can confirm that this particular car is actually called 'Leopard'?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 02:28:21 AM by Allemano »

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
I decided to change the name to Watanabe Leopard

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 643
  • Nulla tenaci invia est via
    • https://www.cartefacts.com
Re: Solved: Allemano's № 467 - Carrozzeria Watanabe Leopard
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 08:36:45 AM »
Due to low resolution not all Japanese symbols could be correctly identified, but this at least something...
Perhaps our colleague Alfa Japan can make a better translation / explanation?

■国内での作品
●バジリックとグリフォンとともに微
笑む渡辺雅夫氏と奥様の多哭子さん。
GRIFFON

■ Works in Japan
● Fine with basilic and griffon
Laughing Masao Watanabe and his wife Takumako.

--------------------------------------------------------

BASILIC
<Unable to recognize...>

●グリフォン製作の
過程。モデリング、
線図の引き方などは
小室克介さんが協力
した。

● Griffon
process. modeling,
How to draw a diagram
Katsusuke Komuro cooperated
did.

●第1号mと思われる1台が完成し、フライングペガサスとして世に出た。ペガ
サスにはメッキバンパーが付けられている。

-One unit that seems to be the first m was completed and appeared as Flying Pegasus. Pega
The suspension has a plated bumper.

●グリフォン完成後に1台のみ製作されたクーペ。ベースはSR311。初めてコンシールドタイ
プのワイパーを採用。全長3980m:n、全幅167011111、全忌1200111:l、車両国量970格o

-Only one coupe was manufactured after the griffon was completed. The base is SR311. First concealed tie
Adopt a wiper of the pull. Total length 3980m: n, overall width 167011111, all anniversary 1200111: l, vehicle national quantity 970 o

ことはできる、たとえ夢でも。作った人たちと時代を越えて握手を交わ 夢かもしれない。しかし、このクルマを名単、リカーン。これもやはり夏の夜のり尽くした男が残していった知られざるクルマ作りの楽しさ、苦しさをすぺて知氏がアメリカで世を去って随分経つ。イールもワンオフである。が入る。Wの文字をあしらったアルミホーも特注で「WATANABE」の刻印ハイカムにした。エンジンのヘッドカパ製し、カムシャフトも自分で肉盛りしてプリンスG15のクラッチハウジングも自りだ。フレーム、ポディは言うに及ばず、いよう。ひとつひとつの部品が彼の手作
しやがみ込んで、いつまでもながめている。このクルマには渡辺氏の魂が捧げられてそしてここに、リカーンが生きている。が飾ってあったというには大きく引き延ぱしたリカーンの写真業を支え、クルマは作り続けた。事務所という人がいる。も厳しくない。そして、それに乗りたい自由に作りたいクルマが作れる。法規制たのである。アメリカに行けば、もっとカスタムカーの本場、アメリカを目指しその後、渡辺氏は日本をあとにした。

ットロッドだった。またコルベットや>アメリカ人マニアが熱狂的に好むのはホカスタムビルダーは神様扱いだ。ただ、ジョージ・バリスやエド・ロスといったは何でもありのカスタムカー王国である。それは間違っていなかった。アメリカずだ。コルベットのボディ修復などで事した渡辺氏は夢と現実の落差に悩んだはヨーロッパ的なコーチビルダーを目指ージで作り上げることが珍しくない。トは各稲裂品化されていて、個人がガレwピートルに被せるFRP製ボディキッ

You can do it, even if you dream. Shaking hands with the creators over the years may be a dream. However, this car is simply Rican. Again, the fun and pains of making unknown cars left by a man who has been exhausted on a summer night have passed much after his death in the United States. Eel is also one-off. Enters. The aluminum ho with the letter W is also custom-ordered and has a high-engraved "WATANABE" stamp. I made the head capa of the engine, built up the camshaft myself and also made the Prince G15 clutch housing myself. Not to mention frames and poddies. Each piece is his own work

I'm looking back forever. This car is dedicated to Mr. Watanabe's soul, and here Rikaan lives. The car continued to build, supporting Rikhan's photographic business, which was greatly extended. There is an office. Not too severe. And you can make the car you want to ride freely. It was a regulation. If you go to the United States, aiming for the home of more custom cars, then Watanabe left Japan.

It was a trod. Also, Corvette and> American enthusiasts love enthusiastically the custom builder. But George Barris and Ed Ross are all custom car kingdoms. That was not wrong. Not America. Mr. Watanabe, who was involved in corvette body restoration, was struggling with the gap between dream and reality. The FRP body kit that each individual is put on

■リカーン製作記
■ Rikaan [LYCAON] production notes
01967年、リカーンの製作を
開始する。パイプフレームを
組みながらドライビングポ
ジションを確認する渡辺氏。

In 191967, Rikhan's production
Start. Pipe frame
Driving po
Mr. Watanabe confirms the situation.

パイプフレームがあらかた出来上がリ前後のアクスルを組み付け、センター
パネルを仮り付けしたところ.

The finished pipe frame is assembled with the front and rear axles and the center
The panel is temporarily attached.

0ポディの途装が済み、艤装がほ1甜忍わったリカーン。後方のオースチンは渡辺氏
の愛車。カロッツェリア渡辺の君板が見える。

Rikaan has completed 0 Podi's outfitting, and his outfitting has been reduced. Austin in the back is Mr. Watanabe
Love car. You can see Carrozzeria's Watanabe plate.

1/ 1 の板に描いた全体図をスタビレンフィルムに写し取って3mm厚ベニャのガバリ(竜骨)に
転写。Son閻隔で100枚以上を組んでいき、和紙を貼つてフォルムを検討。のちにパテで成形
して原型とした。

Copy the entire drawing drawn on a 1/1 board to stabilene film and make it into a 3mm thick veneer gabari.
Transcription. We assembled more than 100 sheets at Son Ensaku, and examined the form by sticking Japanese paper. Later molded with putty
And made it a prototype.

完成したリカーンはまずクDーズドボディmが宮士1000キロにペガサスR-1の名でエントリーするも決勝進出ならず(浅岡重踵/粕谷順一郎)。一方、オープンポディ仕様は活躍。上は同じく宮土100'.l畑にデイ&ナイトMK-Vの名で黒須隆一/堀雄登吉が参加した1台。シャシーはプラバム、エンジンはヨシムラチューンの5000(総合30位)。下はマカオGP入寅車。

In the finished Rikhan, Kudzudoboido m first entered the Miyagi 1000 km under the name of Pegasus R-1, but did not advance to the final (Shigeru Asaoka / Junichiro Kasuya). On the other hand, the open pod specification is active. Above is a car with Ryuichi Kurosu and Tokichi Hori participating in the Miyado 100'.l field under the name of Day & Night MK-V. The chassis is Pravam and the engine is Yoshimura Tune 5000 (30th overall). Below is the Macau GP Iritora car.

ノーズ部分をペーパーで仕上げる渡辺氏。FRPは厚みの均ーさに気を使った。

Mr. Watanabe finishes the nose with paper. FRP paid attention to the uniformity of thickness.

Offline Alfa_Japan

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 124
  • otanim
  • YearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 02:44:47 AM »
@Arunas, pretty good translation effort. Anyway Google translate or any other translation applications for that matter from Japanese to English are moderate. It's rather difficult to translate since the Japanese language is quite different from "western" languages. I'm not a native Japanese speaker unfortunately so I'm not able to help further, I can recognize half but that doesn't bring you what you need. In case really required I can ask around since I live in the land of the rising sun.

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 04:53:09 AM »
@Arunas, pretty good translation effort. Anyway Google translate or any other translation applications for that matter from Japanese to English are moderate. It's rather difficult to translate since the Japanese language is quite different from "western" languages. I'm not a native Japanese speaker unfortunately so I'm not able to help further, I can recognize half but that doesn't bring you what you need. In case really required I can ask around since I live in the land of the rising sun.
That would be really nice! :thumbsup:  If possible could you ask for more info/pics of this unique car?  :hyper: