Author Topic: Solved -PJ279- Ray Henrie's "Stellar"  (Read 11080 times)

Offline 72Must

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 203
  • AutoPuzzles
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Solved -PJ279- Ray Henrie's "Stellar"
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2020, 12:24:15 PM »
Very cool car , hadn't seen it before , it seemed to have been around in the 90's ,so  hopefully it  will have survived . Pale yellow works best imo !

Only place for the Corvair flat 6 motor to fit would appear to be in the front , the HAMB link mentions VW gearbox/trans flipped ,I wonder as the Corvair turns acw ,perhaps a VW trans is just reversed ,rather than turned upside down & a shaft at engine speed transmitting power back to it ,lots of engineering for sure ! Can see what looks like the stock VW Beetle front antiroll /  sway bar beneath presumably a VW front torsion bar beam setup. Afaik Crown USA used to sell kits for putting Corvair engines into Beetles & buggies in the 60s & 70s ,engines were modded to run regular clockwise , or VW trans crownwheel swapped sides !

Possibly a good portion of a VW floorpan/chassis used , as the Corvairs are monocoque

Windscreen looks like might be 59 / 60 fullsize GM (Chevrolet / Buick / Pontiac / Olds  ) sedan rear window

Offline shenrie

• Puzzle Points 0
  • Name That Car!
  • YearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Solved -PJ279- Ray Henrie's "Stellar"
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »
Allemano, np posting pix. just happy to see some interest in the car. These stories perk him right up. So again, thanks to all responding.

72must, yes, the pale yellow was its original color. The red baron theme was the gent who bought it from my Dad. He owned the local airport at the time in Idaho Falls.

i actually stumbled onto the car when I moved to Boise when I was 18. Saw a fs add for it and it ended up being within a mile or so of where i was living. My Dad just happened to be headed to visit that weekend. I took my Dad over to look at it, but it was in a sad state of affairs. It was the typical car in boxes scenario :( My Dad looked it over for about 15 min, chatted with the owner a bit then we drove away. i asked him if he was interested in buying it back. he just laughed and said "not for that price!". if I would have had any money to my name at the time I would have bought it. Just wasnt in the cards though at age 18.

The chassis was from a VW Willy. The windshield was originally a rear window from an Impala, but he could only guess that it was from a 62.