Author Topic: What I saw today  (Read 5869 times)

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
What I saw today
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:38:57 AM »
I don't think this thread belongs in the "racing" section, because the chances of regular sightings of racing cars on the road are slim.

However, I just saw this (or one of the team) on the main road between Newtownards and Comber. It's one of a team of 3 Ford V8 stripped racers entered in the 1934 Tourist Trophy by a Belfast Ford agent, more for publicity than success I would think. To be fair, I often see interesting cars on this road as owners use them to retrace the route of the pre-war races.
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
Re: What I saw today
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »
As I said, I often see TT-style cars near my home. Saw one of these yesterday, dark blue like this one. It was TINY.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 04:24:50 AM »
Forgot to mention, but there was an open tourer Oakland parked outside our local fish-and-chip shop the other day. As you do......

(PS not this one. Stock photo.....)

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:42:39 AM »
This is a bit of an odd choice for a post, but I couldn't resist. It is, after all, something I saw today.

I was sent this photo by my brother - it's his elder son in the rear gun turret of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's Lancaster as it flies over open countryside (presumably on its return to base) after the flypast for the Queen's birthday celebrations. I have no idea why he's showing the time on his watch, which is my late father's from his time serving in the RAF.

He doesn't serve with the Flight, but was invited to be part of the crew for the day. There's a story behind the watch, which was left to me in my father's will, but donated to my nephew since he is a serving member of the Force. No real intrinsic value, just a sentimental family piece, awarded to my father by his CO for exemplary conduct during the 1946 RAF mutiny (I told you there was a story!)

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 07:31:59 AM »
I just passed an Alvis 12/50 Beetleback on the Holywood bypass. Not this one but the same car in a dark blue.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 07:41:28 AM »
In Comber on Saturday, an Austin 7 Grasshopper, or more probably a replica.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 05:18:58 AM »
So many Austin 7 specials about in these parts. Called on someone yesterday and he was fettling his Austin 7 Cambridge. Built in 1948 from a 1928 chassis. For some reason it had Ford or Morris "easiclean"-type steel wheels. I didn't have the heart to ask why. Red with black wings, similar car to this photo.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »
A really stunning spot this afternoon, something you don't see every day. An early '30s Alfa Romeo 6C1750 with a beetleback body (no spare visible) in black and what appeared to be French or Italian plates. It was in a queue coming towards me at cruising speed and I didn't get much chance to have a better look. The driver was trying to mimic Mick Walsh of Classic & Sportscar - overalls with a belt and a black beret.

This is a library photo.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 11:48:48 AM »
Travelling into the little fishing village of Ballywalter this afternoon, no other cars on the road, when I saw this coming towards me - of all the cars in all the world! It looked as if it was tinted a gold colour, not just the usual brushed aluminium. Maybe it was the sun reflecting on the metal. The driver was not a white-haired wide-eyed nutcase.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 04:45:56 PM »
I was visiting a house today in Donaghadee (home of Ireland's oldest bar, reputedly) and popped my head in at the adjacent large garage, to find a Rover P5B, an Austin A55 Cambridge (Farina) and 2 interesting cars being renovated. One was a Hillman Aero Minx. like this one, although the rotten rear quarters had been replaced by panels from a Spartan kit car (!).

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 04:47:38 PM »
The second car, or what was left of it, was a BSA Scout. Not something you see every day.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 06:12:53 AM »
I was at a small classic car gathering on Saturday in a little village called Greyabbey. Mostly the usual "grey porridge" such as MGs and A35s but in amongst them was what was a comparative leviathan. I haven't ever seen one in the flesh before. The under-bonnet arrangements were jaw-dropping. The engine is set back in the bulkhead to allow for the front-mounted gearbox and a most complex tangle of pipes and wires for the hydraulics. The owner thinks it's the only one in Northern Ireland and quite possibly on the whole island. I joked about finding a mechanic if something goes wrong and he went very quiet........
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:18:57 AM by Wendax »

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 410
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 03:29:29 AM »
I saw the engine from one of those in a friend's workshop many years ago. As you can see, it has twin ohc on each bank of three cylinders but the camshafts' chain drive is between cylinders, so to get the head off and back on again requires cunning threading of the (largely inaccessible) chain. Not something you could possibly do with the engine in the car, and no wonder he went quiet. . .
Opinionated but sometimes wrong