Author Topic: What we've found on youtube . . .  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
What we've found on youtube . . .
« on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:05 AM »
At the risk of deflecting attention from the mass of photos of unlikely cars which are this site's great strength, I think we should show some moving images. Because this is in the Vintage section can I ask that you post films in this thread which were made in period unless there is some very special reason to include something else.

As you might expect, given my predilection for Lea-Francis here is a short Pathé News item on the 1928 Tourist Trophy race.
Nicanary will know the roads but I doubt we would see the line of spectators on the kerbstones of the roadside pavements now that the Health & Safety implications are treated a bit more seriously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0HAr5RNUjg
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: What we've found on youtube . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 08:00:03 AM »
Actually I'll add a modern one because it is of Moss and Jenks and a Mercédes 300SLR at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 40 years after the three of 'em won the Mille Miglia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqKWhfDyV4

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 559
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
Great stuff, Allan. I love the jingoism of the Pathe coverage "Britain wins International Tourist Trophy" - 45 cars entered, only 2 overseas drivers (I count Baron d'Erlanger as British) although there were several foreign-built cars driven by British owners. Hardly a display of overwhelming British superiority!

Interestingly, some of the roads have hardly changed since then - the twisty section as the cars enter Dundonald is the same today. Plus the narrow streets of Comber past the famous butcher's shop.

The Great Man points out to the camera that he isn't comfortable in the SLR as he's too close to the 'wheel. Can you just imagine Alfred Neubauer's reaction if he'd heard that! It would never have happened of course - the mechanics would have done an all-nighter to get things just right for the driver. Neubauer took such things very seriously. It was one of the things that impressed Moss so much about the Mercedes organisation.

(PS I wonder why the Frazer Nash took so long to get away at the start? The drivers had to erect hoods, but that car was a fixed-head saloon and could have just driven off into the distance before the others got going. Maybe a starter problem?)

(PPS Your comment about Health & Safety is very apposite . The very reason the race ceased to exist is because of a car ploughing into spectators on the run down to Conway Square, oddly enough on a wide and straight section of the track. I've never understood how the car could have veered off-course at that point, but sadly there were fatalities.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:29:20 AM by nicanary »
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 04:19:30 AM »
(PS I wonder why the Frazer Nash took so long to get away at the start? The drivers had to erect hoods, but that car was a fixed-head saloon and could have just driven off into the distance before the others got going. Maybe a starter problem?)
I don't know, but I think it may be that the handicappers gave saloons a start time penalty. I shall see if I can confirm that, but it could take some time.

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 10:49:40 AM »
Here's a very pleasant film about a very pleasant man and his recollections of keeping lap-charts for Ecurie Ecosse at Le Mans in 1957:
 https://youtu.be/DlwtqK0xYwI
Takes me back to when I was discovering motor sport and would be a useful history lesson for some of our younger members I think.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 559
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 06:49:43 AM »
This was posted on another site and I found it interesting. Clips following the history of Avus - a lot of it from the early 50s depicting well-known Eigenbaus such as the Greifzu and Heck, and also an F3 race with John Cooper's streamliner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P81C6fecbAc
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 08:27:12 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Nicanary, and I went to watch it and youtube found this 40 minute illustrated talk by Norman Dewis for me, so I'll post a link and recommend it https://youtu.be/p_dzGvWZm38